1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Super Rare Steve Cripe

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by adam clinton, Dec 4, 2018.

1. adam clinton

adam clinton Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Price:
    Strings:
    For my fellow DeadHead TB’ers...

This is a super cool rare piece - got it for jam band project that has since fizzled a bit. Am happy to hold on to it if no interest as was not cheap!

Steve Cripe built Jerry Garcia’s last few guitars; super interesting story if you haven’t read about him .

He made very few basses or guitars for that matter . He passed away in an accident and had several guitars that were unfinished and a close friend Pat O’Donnell was asked to complete his unfinished work. For reference Pat and his son build under the Resurrection Guitars brand and do very pricey high end builds. This neck is 100% Steve Cripe built and pat added the body with wood from Steve's shop. The fret board is from the salvaged wood that Cripe owned and called the "opium bed" rose wood same as used on Garcia’s guitars . The core of the body is purple-heart from Steve's shop the bindings are hard maple also salvaged from Steve’s shop. Top and back are killer pieces of rosewood. Not sure what the electronics or pickup are but are active w volume bass and treble . It sounds like a super clear P bass to my ear; much more even and sits great in a mix .

Build quality is amazing and it’s plays superb . Does not have case but would ship in a nice bag .

Would consider amp plus cash from a trade perspective maybe

Attached Files:

Federighi, Stew Nelson, IPA and 9 others like this.
  2. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Wow. Sweet!

123321 likes this.
  3. 123321

123321 "no Chubby Checker!" CHECKMATE!! Out! 05/15/19

Feb 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Just when you think, maybe, you've seen about it all... Adam never fails!!:thumbsup:

4. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

That fretboard is not normal... in a good way! :thumbsup: Interesting bass.

5. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Vibey

6. adam clinton

adam clinton Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    May consider some trades or trade plus cash if have some easy flipabble stuff

7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Weight, please?

8. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Good god almighty. I've been looking into making a bass with a Garcia style body........:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Can we work out a 2 year payment plan?

9. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Wow, style wise this is right up my alley, but price wise it's way outta my range.

I have to ask, what's she got under the hood? Active/passive or switchable? Any info on the electronics would be appreciated.

GLWTS, and if I come into some money I'll be in touch.