1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Super Redhead Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pumpkin, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    Hey All,

As someone who is relatively new to the tonal impact of amps and cabs, I need a little advice. I currently run a MM Sterling HH into a SWR Super Redhead (pre-Fender) and am looking to find an alternative I can use for gigging. I love the clarity and versatility of the SWR, but given it's weight and age, I don't like taking it out of the house if I can avoid it.

I'm looking for an amp head/ cabinet pairing that is conducive to bright funk and growly rock tones. The rig is primarily for bar gigs in a city, so portability is a huge asset. I am not looking for combo recommendations as I'm hoping to go for a modular setup that can handle various sized venues by adding/ removing cabs. Bonus points for sweepable mids on the amp- since getting the SWR it's my new favorite thing.

As for cost- cheaper is better but if I have to chose between tone, transportability and cost, cost is going to be the odd man out. I have used Markbass equipemnt in the past and voicing fo the speakers really didn't let me get the tone out of my Music Man that I wanted.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what people come up with! Have at!

2. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    If you like the Redhead, what about a used SWR 350 and a 2x10 cab? Basically the same thing.

The Nameless likes this.
  3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    Good Question. I've been having a hard time finding SWR gear around, and I'm also not sure that it has enough power for what I need.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It is a heavy girl. I ran one for several years with a triad cab under it (modded for wattage equality between cabs). It sounded "OK". But I must admit is was hard to kill.

1) If you reeeeeeally like the tone of that head, my advice would be to build (or have built) a case for the head and then have a tech go through it to check everything out. Then you can get yourself a neo cab or two to set under it. Others have done it before. Maybe do a search here to find threads where they have been brought up before. It will be a tad bit tricky because of the angled front, but nothing a fairly handy wood worker can't handle.

2) Maybe have a custom cab builder make you a lighter cab around the head and still have it gone through.

If you get something built for it, leave the top somewhat open. That sucker gets HOT when you run it hard.

5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    SWR SM500 with a Goliath 410 cab?

6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    It sounds like you've got some other preference. Mind sharing?

7. I used, and have used, a Redhead of some sort fer about 20 yrs or more. I put locking casters on mine. I won't gig often without it. But? A Bass 350 and a GoLight or Goliath 210, will get it done. Exactly, with maybe a bit more volume and presence. But slight, if at all. The key? Getting a 4ohm cab, as the Redheads internal spkrs are wired 4ohm. With an 8ohm cab, power is around 240w, similar to the first gen Redheads. Still enuff fer me, but not enuff for everyone. The 350s run at 2.67 ohms, meaning very versatile in adding cabs. Guitar Center used site has a big selection of used SWR gear cheap. And with a 30 day warrantee and shipped from anywhere? Definitely worth a look. I use a variety of SWR gear. Some love it. Some don't. But mine has worked forever. Sounds great anywhere. And is definitely cost effective enuff to have a few rigs. Saves movin one everywhere. Heh.