1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super Redhead Owners..... Need some Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmbstudios, Dec 20, 2006.

1. jmbstudios

jmbstudios Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    I have a rattle in my Super Redhead. The chassis is rattling and I want to remove the head and tighten everything up.

Problem is that I have removed the front two screws and the rear 4 screws to remove it, but it is not budging.

Am I missing a screw or something???? Anyone removed their head before???

Please help.

thanks
    jeff

2. ocnyup

ocnyup

Feb 21, 2006
    Sell it now and cut your losses. I am 9 months into ownership of my Super Redhead (w/ Son of Bertha ext cab). When it is working, it sounds pretty good. A little sterile and hi-fi, but powerful enough and quite versatile.

BUT... in 9 months, it has been in the shop twice for blowing its own speakers. I don't overdrive the amp. I don't push it to its limits. I NEVER ride the clip lights. Basically, I use the amp like any responsible professional would. Alas, it has blown four speakers and has spent at LEAST one full month of the 9 I've owned it, in the shop.

Last time, SWR/Fender covered the work under warranty. I am still under warranty, but this time they say that I am not covered. The Super Redhead, for all of its good qualities, is unfortunately overpriced for its capabilities IMHO.

One thing that SWR/Fender techs are very open in sharing about the Redhead is that they "achieve their sound" by using "thinner paper cones." To me, that's copping to the fact they use speakers that stand a better chance of blowing. No?

When I get mine back this time, I am swapping out the "thinner paper" SWR drivers for a couple of Tone Tubby 10 hempcores. Better durability, reliability and tone will finally be mine.

Good luck with your Redhead. I hope you've got one of the good ones.