Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super Redhead VS Ashdown Evo II 300 + Goliath jr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soulblender, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Soulblender

Soulblender

Sep 19, 2004
    Portugal
    Hello, this is my first post and I was hoping to hear some opinions... I need a small 2x10 rig to play at home and in small clubs and I'm thorn between two possibilities:
    A SWR Super Redhead - liked the tone but sounded a bit too clean,
    or:
    an Ashdown ABM EVO II 300 head + SWR Goliath Jr 2x10 cab.
    I tried the same Ashdown head once and it sounded very good and versatile (capable even of SWR type clarity but warmer :confused: ), but at the time I preferred it's tone with SWR cabs rather than Ashdown cabs (I think I tried it with a Triad and a Ashdown 4x10) it just seemed more "focused" with the SWR.

The problem I have now is that the Ashdown head and SWR cab are being sold in different stores and I cannot try them together :crying:
    What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

SoulBlender

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I had a Redhead and I'm glad that it is gone. It never got any warmth or balls. Warm balls? :eyebrow:

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I have a pre-Fender Super Redhead and i really like it. It is super clean, but it mixes very well with my band and all of my basses sound great through it. I connect my GS112 to and it becomes even better. The combo is also extremely versatile in a studio situation.

Since i have never had a chance to really play an Ashdown for any period of time, i cant comment on those, but thought i would give a +1 for the Super RH.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never used ashdown stuff, but plenty of folks here have. I have a Super Redhead that I like lots. Some folks don't like the swr sound, I do. If that's you bag, it's a great amp. I use it both with my electrics, and my Double Bass, and it suits my needs for middlin' size venues very well. For smaller jazz quartet work I use an swr baby blue II (sensing a trend here?) and for bigger jobs I use a mesa 400+ and an swr goliath III...While the mesa is a tube amp, and not just a tube preamp, I bought it for headroom and clarity, and used this way (especially thru an swr cab) it has very similar clean warm tone...
    While you can't compare side by side in your case, do play them both. Both fine units, but definately different personalities...

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Check out the suggested settings for a Super Redhead. They really go along way to giving the amp some balls.

I like the SWR sound, but not set flat. The flat setting is what give them the "sterile/thin" rep IMO.

Set the amp correctly, and you can get a warm, punchy tone that can bring out the growl from your bass.

Lync