Super Redhead vs. Bass SWR Bass 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretless Friday, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Why would I buy a Super Redhead when I can get a Bass 350 head with a Goliath Junior III (2x10, for those not in the know) for the same price?

These are prices based on a local shop. Both are new. Too bad I can't really afford either right now.

Am I missing something?

2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the super redhead has some handy recording features, but if i'm not mistaken the bass 350 can put out a teensy bit more power. (i have a bass 350, gj3, and just bought a triad. i tried out the triad with a redhead they had in the store and the redhead couldn't power the triad as well as the bass 350 could.)

a nice thing about the redhead though is that the head is already protected PLUS you get a rack space in there, however if you already own a rack or more than 1 space worth of rack mount equipment you should get the 350.

hahahaha! i bet that helped a WHOLE lot :rolleyes:

3. Wow. I am all clear now! Clear as mud! ;)

I can see the combo vs head/cab issue, but really, its not that huge a deal to me.

As for the recording features, I haven't yet been recorded, and I don't forsee it in the near future. I also currently own zero rack equipment.

I love the sound I get through both though. Now I just need money. Don't we all?? :D

4. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    You guys are comparing apples to oranges. Of course the RedHead couldn't power the Triad as well as the Bass 350 could. The Bass 350 didn't have to power an extra 2x10. The Bass 350 doesn't have anymore power than the RedHead.....they use the same power amp- of this i'm 99.9% sure.
  5. They may be apples and oranges, but I am trying to decide why this apple and that orange are the same price.

That makes the comparison valid, in my opinion.

6. Well the Super Redhead has switchable turbo bass and transparency controls, which I'm pretty sure the bass 350 doesn't have. Oh yeah, turbo bass widens the frequency range of the bass control (down to 31 Hz) if anyone was wondering. I've tried out the Super Redhead and really liked it, but unless you're not gonna add more to our rig, I'd probably go with the bass 350 and goliath jr (try an Eden 2x10, you might like it better than the goliath jr), mainly because you might just want to switch to more power in the future, but keep the same speakers. Either way, both are good.
  7. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    I never said your opinion wasn't valid......I just wanted to clear things up a bit
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA bass 350 IS powering a 2x10 as well as the triad. and the whole rig sounds a lot clearer than the redhead + triad.

9. I've got an old (96) Bass 350 and an Eden D210T.

Unless you really want the extra EQ/recording functions of the combo I think that for portability/upgradability the head/cabs option is the way to go. But the sound should be your priority.:)
  10. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    My 2 cents worth. I would never buy a combo that has the same capability as an amp/cab. Firstly, combos are less portable even though the amp/cab are two pieces.More importantly the amp/cab gives you infinite upgrade potential. The combo only gives you an extension cab addition. Go with the amp/cab.
  11. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    That make's no sense at all! You're telling me that these amps, which are for all intensive purposes are the same, and, which for all intensive purposes are powering the same cabinets, sound different?
  12. well, here's the way i see it, if you get the redhead, you're stuck with a combo that will remain a combo the rest of its bass amplifying life. But, if you get the Goliath III and the SWR Bass 350, you have the versatility of mixing and matching in the future when you want to expand your setup. I personally was going to go with a combo when I first started playing bass but I decided that I would most likely be playing gigs in the future so a combo would just be limited to the power it was endowed with at birth, wheras with cabinet and head separate, you can (like I said before) mix and match multiple cabs and vice versa. Am I making sense? Or just beating a dead horse......?
  13. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I auditioned a Super Redhead, but decided to go with a 350 head and an Eden 210 XLT. (Actually, I was going to get the Goliath 3 Jr. but I couldn't pass up the deal on the used Eden. They sounded about the same to me.)

Anyway, I thought the amp/cab sounded better than the combo. They're pretty much the same, I know, but I try to trust my ears. And the portability/interchangeability factor is big for me, too.

So, back to the original question:
    >>Why would I buy a Super Redhead when I can get a Bass 350 head with a Goliath Junior III (2x10, for those not in the know) for the same price?<<

I had the same question, since there seems to be some mystique to the Super Redhead. Maybe that's part of the draw....
  14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I had a Redhead (not Super, the 240 W original) until recently and it served me just fine. I sold it and bought a rackmount SM500 because...

* I can carry just my rack (28 lbs) to my main gig where I patch into the PA. With the Redhead I was always luggin' the whole 70 pound box.

* I can use one or both of the Triads I recently picked up at larger gigs

I can rack two additional pieces in my 4 place rack. With the Redhead I could only rack one. The Redhaead rackspace was pretty useful, but it was dedicated to my bass's external power supply.

15. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    What I don't understand is why people say it's like comparing apples and oranges, they're both tree grown fruit...they're not really that different....but has vitamin C maybe that's the big difference...I don't know....but really....

Is the SWR Triad a pretty good choice of speaker, it makes a lot of sense to me to have the full range of speakers in one cab...but is it a good solid last a long time cab. I heard at one time SWR was having trouble with the grill rattling on those cabs.
  16. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    They're very different - they're not both apples. :) (even if the word for orange in my mother tongue derives from "apple from China" :confused: )
    Also, there over hundred kinds of apples, y'know. And many kinds of oranges. So even a comparison between apples and apples can show a lot of differences.
  17. it's "intents and purposes." not picking, just trying to edify. :)
  18. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada I meant intensive
  19. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I currently have a SuperRedhead which is 350 watts. I also have a bigben 15 extension speaker. With this extension the wattage is raise to 450 watts. This wattage is all depending on the ohms of the extension speaker working with the ohms of the SuperRedhead.

On that triad speaker. I have giged with many of those in different states...all that I have played sound like crap. The idea of it is great but I have never found one that sounds the way it should.

I have had many different setups....from all separates to combos. I have found that if you are playing in different atmospheres, small and large, you have a choice of what to use with the Redhead and an extension cab. Small gigs, use just the Redhead....large gigs, use it with an extension speaker.

And by the way, what is the weight issue. you dont have to carry the redhead. it has wheels and you can even put all the rest of your stuff on it and wheel it out to your vehicle. I think lugging around separates is a pain. If you have a 4,6,8 space the time you have filled it, it is going to be pretty darn heavy.

These are just my thoughts....
  20. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Stroy05 wrote:

<< And by the way, what is the weight issue. you dont have to carry the redhead. it has wheels and you can even put all the rest of your stuff on it and wheel it out to your vehicle. I think lugging around separates is a pain. If you have a 4,6,8 space the time you have filled it, it is going to be pretty darn heavy. >>

Rolling a Redhead (or any other combo) is cool. Until you encounter stairs or a vehicle with a high load height. My Triads also have coasters, so there's no disadvantage here compared to when I did use a Redhead.

As far as the rackspace filling up and getting heavy, that's a matter of self control. A gear laden bassist with a rack system is gonna have a heavy rack. The same guy with a combo is gonna have a separate rack full of goodies or some sort of carry bag in addition to the combo.

As with most things it comes down to what you're comfortable with. For me, I found myself in enough situations where I didn't need speakers, only needed a head, so racking an amp and preamp makes sense.