Super Redhead vs. Eden Metro Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boondog Reisbol, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Rehearsal amp stolen. Need a new combo & stuck between Super ReadHead & Eden Metro. I like them both and can't decide. Any/All opinions appreciated.
  2. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I love my Redhead. It killed my Hartke stack ( 15 & 4x10) tonewise. It has enough juice for smaller gigs. For bigger ones I set it up on top of my 18.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i could never get a decent sound from the Redhead. always too harsh in the highs, and almost no low end, whatsoever. i'd have to crank the bass knob to no end. .

IMHO, the Metro, on the other hand, is kinda in its own league, cause its a killer little combo. lots of tweakable options, and two discreet channels to boot. a good deal more in price, but IMHO, worth every penny. much punchier, and despite not going as deep as the SWR, strangely bigger sounding.

an even better deal is Eden's lower end line, the Nemesis NC-210P. has a great frequency response of 35-15hz. a little light with the wattage @ 225 watts, but still plenty loud. its also nicely lightweight to carry around.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks like you play 4 stringers, so the Redhead is my pick between those two. The Eden handles the low B a lot better, but that is not a factor for you.

FWIW, I think that you should check out a Peavey BAM210 before you buy anything.

I had a Metro that got stolen, and used the insurance money to buy a BAM. IMHO, it sounds better than the Metro or the SWR, handles the low B better(I play fives and sixes) and is louder than either of the others as well.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Remarkably, I prefer the Redhead over the Metro. Don't ask me why ... just better tone, IMO. However, the Metro can produce more power with extension cabs.
  6. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Munji said Buy SWR over Eden. Not that I mind, just because of his posts I've spent over $3000.00 on Eden equipment. WOW.. I think maybe the earth is spinning in reverse or something. I cannot comprehend what has happened here. It's like when Clinton said " I did not have sex with that girl".

Just Kidding. That is what is so wonderful about this format. You can give your opinion of very specific situations. I still would go Metro. But I would do an A/B test at a GC or whatever Music store chain you have available. The most important thing is that you buy what sounds best to you. Good Luck.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    First, I didn't say to buy the Metro. I'd buy the Eden, just for the extra power. They don't sound all that different. Second, perhaps Mars went into retrograde again. Could be anything.
  8. I faced this same question about a month ago...and wound up buying an older used Trace Elliot combo that was a better deal and sounds just as good :p
  9. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Before you consider getting a SWR, just remember;the old SWR's are a different story,but the new ones are made in mexico.If thats your thing ok.I was saving up for a SWR210C when I accidently got the feb/04 issue of BASPLAYER.They did a review and I saw that it said its MiM.I was confused and angry 'cuz I clearly remember seeing a add that said "ALL swr are hand built in the USA"I gave them a email asking them whats up and they replied to me that they have shifted all their crap to their "TOP" mexican place since fusing with fender.In my expeirience I've seen the fine line difference of Mexican and American made goods.If you want I can show you that email,just ask.
  10. blumusician

Nov 12, 2005
    Hi Everyone,

I've been using SWR gear since the early 90's. I have an original Redhead, and an SM900 with an old rear ported Goliath 4X10 and Big Ben cabs. Most recently, I've been playing through a Black Beauty (the last three years through nothing else). I've always thought my bass guitar tone lacked character.

My axe is a 1993 Custom Shop Jazz Bass which has an extremely complex and interesting tone but lacks a strong fundimental. I've solved the lack of low end problem by using a Sadowsky preamp. That gives it the umph it needs.

Overall, I've been happy with the tone out of my Black Beauty especially with my upright which I play more often than my Fender. The 15" driver gives the upright a warm tone that I like. I use the old Goliath 410 as an extension cab when it's called for.

Recently, I played a gig out of town where the band used a rented backline. Usually, they have a Hartke stack at these things which does the job, but that's about all. To my surprise this time, there was an Eden WT800 and D610 cab waiting on stage when I arrived for the soundcheck. I thought to myself "great" because I had alway been impressed with the sound of Eden gear when I heard other poeple play through it.

I couldn't believe how good my Fender through the Sadowsky pre sounded with this rig. Our frontman even commented on how good he thought it sounded. It was without a doubt the best sound I've ever gotten out of an electric bass.

I'd go out and buy this set up today if it were'nt for two things. 1) The size. I prefer a combo for its covenience, and would would rarely need the kind of headroom this gear had. 2) How does Eden gear sound through an upright?

Does the Metro 2X10 combo have the same tonal character as the separates? I could use my 18 as an extension speaker at larger gigs. Do any of you out think that would work well with an upright? I've never heard of anyone using an 18 with an upright, and since the Black Beauty has a 15, I've never tried it myself. Would the old Goliath work we'll as an extention speaker, or would I be happier getting an Eden 210 or 410?

I guess the obvious answer to these questions is to get out there and try the stuff. Frankly I'm tired of spending money on gear. I haven't bought anything new in a long time and didn't think I would be any time soon. In fact, I'm selling most of my gear off since I've settled on what I think works best for me.

My recent experience with Eden equipment has made me stop and think that maybe I could sound better than i do now at every gig. Any feedback based on practical experience would be greatly appreciated.
  11. FYI....There is a brand new Epifani 112 combo (basically a 112UL and Epi502 amp in combo format), for sale on Bass Northwests site at a drastically reduced price (just a little more than what the Eden Metro would cost). It would IMO blow the Redhead away... keep up with the Metro, and be half the weight and size.
  12. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    And let's not forget the Aguilar 112 combo.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a pre-fender super redhead. I like it lots. It works well with both electric and DB. I've not played a metro, but do have other eden gear. Both companies make pretty good stuff;)
    I'm spending most of my time with a thunderfunk 420 and schroeder 1210 now, so if anyone wants a good deal on a super redhead, pm me...