Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super short, quality delay? (Around 0.5ms)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, May 14, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Anyone? Or a really nice chorus? I'm looking for a kind of a short doubley sound.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    One of the best delay pedals out there is the Line6 Delay Modeler - does everything a delay should do, and more, with excellent sound quality.

TC-Electronic make a nice bass chorus as do EBS.

Alex

3. What_About_Andy

What_About_Andy

May 14, 2003
    tucson z
    check out the boss basschorus.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but the Danelectro Slapecho is designed to do a fast repeat. That's *all* it does, and it's pretty good at it. To me it sounds like surf, rockabilly, or Scotty Moore. I wouldn't describe it as a chorus.

5. Wouldn't that be more like a plate or spring reverb?

In this kinda instance, isn't what you're looking for more like an echo, or are you looking for lots of repeats?

6. Unless your REALLY anal about this sort of stuff, a chorus would do you just fine with this, but with the "wet" sound, it is out of tune a couple of cents (That's how you get that chorus sound)

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Maybe a plate, I think of a spring reverb as having a longer decay, at least at the right setting. The Danelectro Slapecho is definitely "short and doubley."

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Maxon AD80. Awesome pedal. Trust me on this.

[​IMG]

9. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

You are not going to even hear 0.5ms. In fact most people don't hear delay as delay until about 10 ms. Comb filtering, such as you get with a phaser, occurs when the delay is between 1 and 10 ms.

So I suspect that you don't really mean to ask about 0.5ms delays. Why don't you tell us what kind of sound you want, and we can suggest how you get it.

10. I don't actually know the difference between them. :oops: Well, I know there's a sound difference, but how they work.... *doesn't know*

11. 0.5 ms is 0.0005 seconds. That's 2000 repeats per second! All you're going to hear from that is a phased sound around and above the 2 kHz EQ band.

I think 50 ms is more what you mean. Any delay pedal/rack effect, analog or digital, will do this.

12. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I got the Digitech X-series Digidelay and it does the sound you're talking about. I set it at 10ms and it sounds really good. Sorta phasey-flangey kinda thing. The Digidelay is a really great pedal in general. Very good sound quality. The tape delay simulation is the best digital I've heard. The reverse function is psychedlic, man. The loop funtion works easily and even though it only does 4 seconds, it's a high-sound-quality 4 seconds. It does all the stuff all the old DOD delays did and more. You can't go wrong with Digitech if you're going to get a digital delay. I agree with basstriaxis on that Maxon, I'd love one of those, but have you seen the prices on those?......steep.

13. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    uhh, the "wet" sound is kind of what i want. but i'm really looking for something similar to somone playing like 3-4 tracks all playing the same thing, played over the original. to give it a kind of thick sand-shakeresque sound. i dont know :p

14. If all you want is a shorter style delay, consider getting an analog one over a digital. The latter will give you a ton of options of course, but it doesn't sound like any of those would be necassary to you. An analog box will be a tad "warmer" and also cooler IMO.