1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Super Silver longevity?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Fogducker, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Do the Innovation strings, Super Silver in my case, last as long as Spiros? I got several years on Spiros but wanted the "gut sound" so put on Super Silvers that I'm happy with.

Fog

2. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I found that mine were done after about a year.

3. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
    hm. That sounds more or less like what I've heard about my Velvet Blues, very approximately. I just searched around the forum for people's stories on gut strings ... 3 years ... 5 years. When my present set fades, I think I may take another look at the amortization schedule.

4. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I've got about two years on a set I just pulled off and replaced with a set of used Innovation 140B. The SS set is still good to go for Bluegrass which is what I normally play. This is the second set of SS I've owned. The first set was about two years old when I pulled them off, but they were not exactly worn out, they were just grungy and getting a little undefined. I play 100% pizz. They won't live as long as steel, but if kept clean and in a stable temp / humidity environment, I'd say at least two years, maybe more, but your mileage may vary.....

5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Old thred but I was wondering if anyone had an idea how to clean these strings. Right now with spirocores I use rubbing alcohol (about once a week) to get dirt and Rossini off the strings.