1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

super silver tension

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by rickmc12, Dec 22, 2011.

1. rickmc12

rickmc12

Jul 14, 2010
    Oakland CA.
    I am considering putting super silvers or velvet animes on my czech bass. I know the velvets have a tension of 25g on each string. Does anyone know what the tension is on the super silvers?

I am stating to play in a gypsy jazz band and I need to do a minimal amount of slapping. I am not quite ready to move up to gut yet. I currently use spirocore. Thanks.

2. swingingoodtime

swingingoodtime Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Although I've used both, it was too far apart timewise and too far back to make an accurate comparison, but from memory they weren't too different (possibly a little lighter on the SS's? Can't remember, sorry, but I don't think it's a massive difference). I think it'll come down more to tone & feel under the right hand moreso that the tension under the left.

You mention moving 'up' to guts, though; what exactly do you mean by that? Gut tension is lower than either of those strings and certainly far less than Spiro's (now there's a difference!) :eek:

3. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
    You could ask them via email. When I did, they replied right away - they couldn't tell me, because at the time they didn't have that data, but at least they responded to the question (unlike Pirastro, who will reply but will not respond.) Maybe they have more information now.

But I really cared about tension, per se, because I wanted to lighten the load on my old plywood bass. It sounds like you're looking for playing feel, which apparently doesn't follow tension measurements exactly, so it's even harder to get information about it. I have no idea ... but I'd like to try Super Silvers someday, from what I've read.

4. rickmc12

rickmc12

Jul 14, 2010
    Oakland CA.
    Thank you for the input. I have ordered a set of super silvers and will put them on shortly. Since I have no experience with lighter tension strings I wanted to try a set out before I commit to buying a set of costly guts. It's all a fun learning experience.