1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super Smooth Flats with Purple one end only???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Sep 24, 2017.

1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image.jpeg Bought this fretless with great flats. The previous owner does not know what the strings are. Tried some fender flats but they ain't smooth!

Purple silk on one end plain on the other. Anybody know these strings?

nerkoids and Linnin like this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS Precision Flats

clammoth and CaseyVancouver like this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Alembic Epic-1.JPG So, how do those Precision Flats sound on that Alembic? I would really, really like to know...:wideyed:

4. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, not sure how to describe what they sound like. They sound 'like flats' but feel like $300 upright strings, smooth.

The fender flats I put on today sound the same as the GHS at first blush ...but they FEEL kinda horrible compared to what evidently is GHS Precision Flats. This being a fretless bass I like the feel of strings that are similar to very expensive upright strings. Is it fair to say flats sound like flats? They don't have the ring of rounds but I have other basses for that. The harmonics are fine, even on the old strings. I only took the old strings off cause I could tell that they had been on another fretted bass. I like 'em better than the new fender flats. :(

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Ghs flats are very smooth. Next step to get even more smooth are la Bella flats.

All other flats are not as smooth.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  6. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Nothing sad about that, my fellow Canuck. You have quite a few GHS Precision fans on this here board. In my own experience with the basses I've used them on, I find they sound great after about 1 month of playing, and become magical sometime after the 3-month mark.

You will not be wanting for tone after that ;-)

CaseyVancouver likes this.