Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

super step strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Jul 9, 2005.

1. sorry for the off topic post, but those super step strings, has anybody tried them? If so, is their a describable difference in sound, feel, etc that the exposed core lends?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Strings... and no longer off topic.

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    If you're asking specifically about Labella Super Steps, I had one brief encounter with them a few years ago. They were (to me) rough to the touch and harsh to the ears. On the plus side, they had a good strong attack, were pretty flexible and hella loud, but they went back into the package after a few rehearsals. I've never liked steel strings, and those were for me, the worst.

I've only used one other taperwound string (Platinum series nickel from clubbass.ca), and they were good, but I can't say the taperwound B made a big difference in the tone as compared to 'traditional' strings like D'Addario XL's or EB Slinkys. YMMV.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I love labella super steps.. they ROCKED on my jazz. i'm throwing them on my SX when i get it.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I found them to be different from most strings. They're low tension and roll under your fingers a bit like a nylon string classical guitar. I like this but many hate it. They're scooped or mid shy, didn't like that. They intonate way different than other strings and this is the part that's likely from the steps, so be sure to check your intonation.

6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Just got them off from my (modified) Washburn Taurus T24.
    Groundloop's description is fair enough (see above) and I'd only want to add that the feel (flexibility) is a little on the DR LoRiders' side,but the sound is harsher and dirtier.SuperSteps really have a good sustain but,as anyone else said in this forum,who plays 30-second notes?The attack is strong and the output is louder than average.If you're a steel guy and your hands can tolerate the,say,Rotosound's harshness,you'll find these LaBellas pleasant.Overall score,let's say a fair 7,5 out of 10.
    Why I got them off?Because I replaced them with Optima Golds. :bassist:
    HTH,