Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super-Stone Sister Joss Stone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rickbass, Feb 20, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My bread & butter band just put a little Joss Stone stuff into our sets because they just knock us out. We can hardly believe they're English with all that classic soul and funk!!!!

Does anyone have a guess what effect/which effects the bassist is using on their song, "Fell in Love With a Boy" ???.....Mutron II or something with that quickly closing envelope and sort of "wet" sound???

You can grab the song + video at http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/stone_joss/audvid.jhtml

Thanks for any guesses.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The excellent band on Joss Stone's album are American....great old school feel on the whole album :bassist:

3. rickbass

Jerry - Got any ideas about how the bassist makes it happen??

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Sounds like the bassist on that album are playing passive basses, like a P or J with flatwound strings. Maybe even a little palm muting to get that foam by the bridge sound. That album is just a excellent example of fingerstye funk. It didn't hurt that she has the drummer from the Roots on there either :)

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I got Soul Sessions.
    I played it for a guy at work that's into old skool R&B/Soul...when I showed him a picture of Stone, he freaked.
    ;)

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I always play it for friends before I tell them her age...... :eek:

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I think her age(or lack thereof) is what really amazes me/people.
    ;)

8. She's only 16? unbelieveable. I just picked up this cd and really like it alot so far. I love the sound and groove of the band.

9. rickbass

mkl13 - Almost scary to think about how good her voice will be when the flaps in her larynx fully develop, ain't it ???

Such a vintage soul sound !

10. I haven't really listened to alot of this type of music. Do you have any recomondations on other artists with a similar vintage soul sound?

Matt

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Aretha Franklin- late 60's-early 70's
    Dusty Springfield- Dusty In Memphis
    Roberta Flack- early 70's stuff
    Staple Singers
    Carla Thomas
    Jean Knight
    Shirley Brown

12. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I forgot, Gladys Knight......Midnight train to Georgia, great bass line by Bob Babbitt :bassist:

13. rickbass

Not exactly sweet soul music, but you may dig Sass Jordan on her "Racine" album.

Like Soss Jones, she sounds like she has played every dive and roadhouse on the highway with a bottle of tequila and has a great band plus wonderful women on back-up vocals like the Motown greats.

All I can give you are Amazon sound samples....but I think they're definitely worth checking out - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...7570363/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/002-7434273-9908058

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Someone a bit older who surprised a lotta folks is Joan Osborne...some friends who didn't know better borrowed my SITSOM DVD & were blown away by her. They thought her MTV-style hit("What If God Was One Of Us") was what she was 100% about...

A bit off-track...
    Janis Joplin's R&B recordings(I Got Dem Old Kosmic Blues) is pretty Soulful, though not in a 'sweet' way.
    ;)

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Where's Betty Wright?
    She's a big part of Joss Stone's album...
    ;)

Flack's 1st album with Donny Hathaway is a must-have.
    Great bass playing by Chuck Rainey, too!

...and Aretha's Young, Gifted, & Black! More Rainey bass genius; a killer version of "The Long & Winding Road" to boot!

17. Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I will check some of these artists out.

Matt

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Damn. :bassist:

19. rickbass

She blew me away in the movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown."

20. rickbass

FWIW - Caught me totally by suprise........came home from rehearsal last night, and there was Joss Stone performing at the end of "The Tonight Show."

No vocal processing, no turntable moron - just her band, a couple of sisters on back-up vocals, and her mic, straight-up.

She's the real article.......looking like Lisa Marie Presley.....but she doesn't have Lisa's severe pitch problems. :cool: