Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SuperBass

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Pcocobass, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Just picked it up. Yeah, I know I should have a long time ago. It was just one of those albums I never got around to getting.

Damn, does it swing! The energy is super high and the crowd is digging it. Christian McBride's solo on "Blue Monk" is fantastic. And, Ray Brown...well, we all know he's the master.
    Anyways, I'm lovin' it.

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I love that CD so much. It's like a part of who I am after so many hundreds of listens. You're right about the McBride solo on Blue Monk... there's one 2-5-1 lick that he plays that I ended up learning in every key. Listen to the solo, I'm sure you'll know which one I'm talking about. "Mack the Knife" is fabulous, "Who Cares" and "Sculler Blues" both have some absolutely ridiculous piano playing on them. "Centerpiece" is a very odd but neat piece as well. "Brown Funk" is my least favorite track, but everything else I find to be wonderful. I think I can sing along to every solo on the disc... what a fabulous recording.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sorry, who's the other bassist on this? It's a trio with those two and John Clayton, right?

Mmmm...I'd love to pick this one up, ASAP.

4. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, it is of paramount importance that you acquire it.

5. Vol. 2 is pretty good also…

- Wil

6. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Aaron-

Yes, it's John Clayton, and he also sounds great.

Wil-

Didn't know there was a volume 2! Thanks for the tip.

7. I haven't heard vol. 1 but #2 is one of my favorites. I especially like their version of Mysterioso.

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, volume 2 is great as well.

In fact, volume 2 has my favorite arco solo ever on it -- Christian McBride on "Mysterioso." He makes the bass sound like a gospel singer, something I have yet to hear from anyone else.

edit: Another amazing solo on volume 2 is McBride's playing on "Get Happy." Wowowowowowow.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Tbeers, that may be, but I think the most important question is...french or german? :D ;)