Superbowl halftime... grumble grumble...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pilotjones, Feb 5, 2006.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    So, I guess the Rolling Stones don't have a bass player!

Oh, wait, Darryl Jones was clearly shown in one shot while they were playing! And likewise the keyboard player.

So, seeing as the Stones did bring the guys up for the bows at the end, do think it was just ABC deciding that it was only a 4-piece band of old men?
  2. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah, i thought that was a load of crap. Who knows why and I hate to do this...but it's hard not to assume it had to do with DJ's race.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I really don't think so, I think it's all EGO, he's not a REAL Rolling Stone. I think Wyman was the only smart one who knew when to pack it in.

If it was race, there are plenty of other Bassist they could have used.
  4. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Soundman should be shot, too. Their sound really sucked!
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Guitar was louder than the singer's voice half the time./

Then again, I don't listen to the Rolling Stones...
  6. Yeah, the soundguy was terrible. Was I also the only who thought that they, especially Richards, were just a bit more on the sloppy side? I mean, yeah, loud oldschool rock and roll and all that, but I would expect more from one of the biggest rock band in the world, especially since they've been playing those songs for thirty years. I dunno, maybe it was just me. As for Jones, kinda sucks, but as far as the layman is concerned, he's just some random session musician.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that Daryl Jones being kept off camera was due to his sideman status, not his race. Too bad, from what I could see, it looked like he was using a pick. I was a bit surprised.
  8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think the camera men were told to just shoot the guys that were sloppy and out of tune.:rollno:
  9. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Agreed. How about the Stevie Wonder and co. fiasco? I mean, how hard is it to turn on someone's mic when it's their time to sing? That's cool, though. I mean, not all the lyrics are important, right? And it's not like they're paying these folks buco bucks to come and sing. :rolleyes:

And how hard is it to look at the Stones and say, "Hmm. That fellow down there looks like he's playing a guitar solo. I wonder if I should turn him up so anyone can hear it?"

And as hard as it must have been to sing right before Aretha Franklin showed him up, you'd think that the soundman would at least be nice enough to decide how loud Aaron Neville's mic should have been. Oy.
  10. The reason they didn't show the bassist because in the very few shots of him, he was just standing there. If he rocked out like Keef, then I'm sure they would have shown him.
  11. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
  12. i agree with the above two posts...DJ wasn't as dynamic as the rest, plus, he isn't one of the original members, so i would guess that DJ will have plenty of time left to be on camera, while the rest of
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Darryl is not a member at all. He is a paid sideman. I'm sure, for what he is getting paid, he has no complaints.
  14. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Maybe it's best for DJ not to be seen in such a disappointing performance by the Stones.
  15. Yes, I wanted to see Daryl as well (to see what bass he was using), but he isn't actually a member of the band, as far as I know. Same with the keyboard player. It had nothing to do with his race (someone must not have seen the pre-game show...).

The mix was very bad...Mick's voice was drowned out half the time by the guitars, it seemed like.
  16. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    First of all...

How can the producers of the Superbowl keep DJ off camera due to his RACE!!! THE NFL IS LIKE 90%

Anyway, DJ isn't a Stone. The Stones are Mich, Keith, Ron, and Charlie....

not DJ and Chuck

And PS--

They're song choices sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I was hoping for Monkey Man, Bitch, and Dance Little Sister Dance... :meh:
  17. i thought it wasn't a bad show...much better than that popfest they had a few years back with britney spears with the armsock...
    i was happy with the songs they two favorite songs were start me up and satisfaction, and they played them so i was happy :)
  18. Yeah, you had to expect they'd play a couple of the most notable hits. If you thought they were gonna bust out a couple obscure B sides or something, you're delusional.
  19. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I guess i had high hopes for the Stones, but eh-i didn't like it much.

That's all
  20. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Mick and the Stones should pack it in.