1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Supercheapo general purpose frankenstein cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyThunder, Mar 4, 2008.

1. I've got this crappy PA cabinet from the 70's, unloaded. It's in fact been chopped down from it's original 4x12 (vertical) size to a 2x12.

I've got some spare 12" car audio subwoofer drivers laying around, plenty of wattage handling.

Is there any reason I can't just wire in these subs and use the cab as a low-expectations general purpose speaker cabinet...say, for running the PA through in practice where the sound quality really doesn't matter...or a guitar/bass extension cab (I know it wouldn't sound good, I just want to know if it would do any damage to the amp)?

Alternatively, if this is a universally bad idea, is there a known source for really dirt-cheap speakers i could throw into it? I don't want to spend real money on it since I couldn't justify spending more than it would cost to just buy a well-used cabinet. Most of the fun is in the project but...well, you know.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try it out. It won't cost anything and you haven't got high hopes for it. The sound quality, as you said, doesn't matter.

3. Hi.

+1

When You spend a little time with that project, you'll find out first hand what the speaker sensivity means. That lesson will be free, most of them aren't ;).

You can try to get the most out of it if you're patient enough, by testing the tuning of the ports with test
    CD or a signal generator (PC-based is fine). If there's the T/S parameters for the drivers and/or You can find 'em in the WinISD, you can estimate the performance from the plots. And most importantly, compare other speakers with the ones You have now.

Good luck.
    Sam