Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SuperCollider - heard this and thought of you!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Bruce Lindfield, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I know you are a fan of Radio 3's "Mixing It" programme, but wondered if you heard last night's programme. They did a feature on a piece of software called "Super Collider" which is downloadable from the net :

http://www.audiosynth.com/

They interviewed someone working with this who was/is guitarist with the Pogues (! -can't remember his name). So he explained how he had used the programme "live" - which is really for generative synthesis - like koan - it creates something different every time it runs, from basic elements.

So he has set it up with software equivalents of things like delays/loops - but more complex parameters - and then played simple things on acoustic guitar, which were transformed by the programme into strange sounds - he explained it as "granular" synthesis. So the programme would take small parts of the sound and loop or play these parts backwards at different but related speeds - depending on the "rules" you programmed in.

It made some really strange sounds and created something new that still sounded natural and acoustic - so it was taking the sound of the acoustic guitar, rather than some synthetic basis, for the overall tone.

Anyway - I was thinking it would be amazing for solos bass gigs and wondered if you had checked this out or heard of it yet?

There's probably a better description on Radio 3's website!

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks for that Bruce - I went to the site, had a look round, got scared and ran away... LOL

It's one of those musical black holes that I could very easily fall into, so have to avoid in order to get anything else done... I saw the same black hole when I first tried a Chapman Stick - amazing instrument, but not right for my personality type... :oops:)

Lemme know if you ever see anyone using it...

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. it sounds similar to the Kyma system John Paul Jones has been using.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Funnily enough - just as I was reading this JPJ was on Radio 5 being interviewed/taking calls with Nicky Campbell.

He sang and played a bit of guitar as well!

I think there are a lot of these digital manipulation/generative synthesis things about now, but "Super Collider" is rated highly as it was written by an Atomic Physicist or something like that ! ;)