SuperCollider - heard this and thought of you!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Bruce Lindfield, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I know you are a fan of Radio 3's "Mixing It" programme, but wondered if you heard last night's programme. They did a feature on a piece of software called "Super Collider" which is downloadable from the net :

They interviewed someone working with this who was/is guitarist with the Pogues (! -can't remember his name). So he explained how he had used the programme "live" - which is really for generative synthesis - like koan - it creates something different every time it runs, from basic elements.

So he has set it up with software equivalents of things like delays/loops - but more complex parameters - and then played simple things on acoustic guitar, which were transformed by the programme into strange sounds - he explained it as "granular" synthesis. So the programme would take small parts of the sound and loop or play these parts backwards at different but related speeds - depending on the "rules" you programmed in.

It made some really strange sounds and created something new that still sounded natural and acoustic - so it was taking the sound of the acoustic guitar, rather than some synthetic basis, for the overall tone.

Anyway - I was thinking it would be amazing for solos bass gigs and wondered if you had checked this out or heard of it yet?

There's probably a better description on Radio 3's website!
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks for that Bruce - I went to the site, had a look round, got scared and ran away... LOL

It's one of those musical black holes that I could very easily fall into, so have to avoid in order to get anything else done... I saw the same black hole when I first tried a Chapman Stick - amazing instrument, but not right for my personality type... :oops:)

Lemme know if you ever see anyone using it...

3. it sounds similar to the Kyma system John Paul Jones has been using.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Funnily enough - just as I was reading this JPJ was on Radio 5 being interviewed/taking calls with Nicky Campbell.

He sang and played a bit of guitar as well!

I think there are a lot of these digital manipulation/generative synthesis things about now, but "Super Collider" is rated highly as it was written by an Atomic Physicist or something like that ! ;)