Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

superdirty oldschool drive tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ted13, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    Ok , i need some advice, i just started playing in a new project and need to get this sound somehow. it's not from my usual domain so i need advice. they used a hiwatt guitar amp and a DI in the sudio to get the sound. it's like a really driven tubey nasty tone not modern at all though. i have a demeter 201, mxr m-80, ibanez phathead, fulltone bassdrive(that i lent out so haven't tried it yet) the closest i've come to nailing it is with the phathed on overdrive mode, with the other switch in the off position and the drive prety cranked. sounds good but not the same. ya think the bassdrive might do it? i have considered picking up an old traynor amp and just driving the piss out of it. think that may work? or any other suggestions.

heres links to downlaod the songs
    http://www.breathingroom.ca/dusty/sonicwarmachine.mp3
    http://www.breathingroom.ca/dusty/hooklinesinker.mp3

2. an old tube amp such as ampeg V4, orange, marshall or as u mentioned traynor will propably do the trick sort of.
    it´s really hard getting that sound from a pedal and those hi-watt amps sound pretty special.

3. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    For that type of sound, I don't think there is any substitute for a British tube amp. Just about any of them will do the trick.

Marshall, Sound City (my amp of choice), Hiwatt, Orange (I used to have one of these -- Orange 80 -- and I foolishly sold it), Green, Matamp, etc. They are all somewhat mutant variations on the Marshall which was a mutant variation of an old Fender Bassman.

I would also suggest that you might run your bass into one of the Fender '59 Bassman reissues. I have one that I occasionally use for low volume bass gigs and I find the tone excellent. I have not tried blasting it, however.

I imagine that it would toast the speakers very quickly. Perhaps running the output to a 4-10 bass bin of some sort might work great. Keep in mind that the Bassman is rated into 2 ohms. So you would need to re-wire the 8-ohm bottom to 2 ohms -- which is easy to do.

4. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    thanks actually i just did some research on this "crappy" old amp thats been lying in my drummers basement for the past 6 years with an apperant broken speaker. it's a traynor yba-4 whick is actually a hand wired point to point, 59 fender bassman/ marshall jtm45 plexi combo copy. it's a 45/50 watt bass/guitar combo with a 300watt 15 speaker loaded. this should do the trick i think. if i run it along side my current setup. gonna go pick it up tonight.

5. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Sounds great! We expect a full report.

6. I keep seeing Hi-Watt amps around, are they any good?

7. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    ya they are awesome! thats what was used in the recording

8. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Nah, they suck. Buy as many as you see and send them to me.

We gotta get these horrible things off the market asap. Gotta protect the innocent.

9. Hmm, I saw a HUGE Hi-watt amp in a guitar shop in York.....i think it was a guitar one. It wasp retty cheap too.

10. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    So turn off your computer and go check it out.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You might be able to get something like that from a high-plate voltage tube effects unit, like the rackmount Tube Works Blue Tube or the Chandler Tube Drive (from which the Blue Tube is derived). I have both of these, and with a NOS Mullard 12AT7, I can get fairly close to that tone.

Of course, an all-tube head would be the more "ideal" way to go.

And BTW, I like those songs, especially Sonic War Machine. The bass tone is pretty cool, IMHO.

Tom.

12. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    What bass did the guy use on that. I'm still working on being able to distinguish overdrive recorded bass for each other. It's hard for me to tell if he's using a pick too.

would the low mid grunt of pickups like dimarzio model J's work really well with that overdriven tone- or would they just muddy it up even more.

I wonder if a YBA200 could get that grove going? Hmmm.

DAMN! All this GAS. I wish they had beano for it!

~Mike

13. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    hey again, i picked up the amp but the speaker is blown so i didn't get to try it yet. later today i will try it with an extension cab and see how things go!

and ya im pretty sure the stuff was played with a pick, but as for what bass, i would assume a pbass but i'd be guessing.

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Where is the Ox? His Sunn Sceptre has some disgusting old school drive. No pedal just balls to the wall tube distortion.

Do a search for Sceptre and you'll find it.

Edit: just checked out the clips I really like this band! Kinda a british rock sound with a tinge of fuzz rock. I want more from these guys :)

15. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    if yo urun across any SWR IOD, i'd recommend turing the drive up and keeping the blend around 3 o'clock for that dirty/nasty OD sound that i hear in the middle of the first clip.

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I had a Fulltone Bass Driver that got a nice crunchy overdrive like this.

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Tee hee.... :smug:

See sig for clips. Old Sunns can be picked up fairly cheap, although the price seems to be a bit on the rise.

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Uh, yeah....
    [​IMG]

And yes, those are 4x15s on the bottom!!!
    [​IMG]

19. There's really no substitute for an old-school tube amp for this tone IMO. I'd really consider fixing up that old amp as well, I dropped a bunch of money fixing up an old Marshall I found in my grandparents basement and it is *godly* sounding.

20. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea you can't get old school tone with modern amps. They are too precise now.

I'd reccomend Sunn, Hiwatt, and old Fender Bassman heads (good luck on winning one on ebay under $700)

I've snagged 2 Sunn heads in the past 3 months for around $200 each and they have more than paid for themselves.