Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Superflex E & A + ? & ?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by godoze, Feb 8, 2005.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've decided that I really love the Superflexible E and A but need something a little meatier for the D and G strings. anyone have suggestions for these two ?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Meatier in tone or meatier in feel under the fingers, or both?

I'm taking meatier tone to mean a little thicker sound with a bit more mid/lowmid presence and a little less articulation?

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    To stay in the same "family", I'd suggest Dominants.
    Meater both physically and tone-wise.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Both actually.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Any of the perlon/nylon/synthetic or whatever you like call it strings will offer that.

If you've tried Obligato, you can think of Dominants as a stiffer, slightly darker incarnation of the same thing. They bow better than Obligatos but aren't as growly, which may or may not be a good thing. I haven't tried Heritage or Sensicore, but they are in the same family.

I played a set of detuned Dominant solos for a long time on my first bass and was very happy. I eventually went to an orch. E and A and liked it even better. Although, the orchs are significantly stiffer than detuned solos. A much greater difference than, for example, the difference between detuned spiros and spiro orchs.

If you are in no hurry, I will be installing a set of Super Sensitive Supremes pretty soon. They are nickel wrapped, which I expect to offer a little more middy, less bright tone. Although they are thin like most of the other steel ropecore strings.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    no hurry... just trying to figure it out at the moment...