1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Superflexible by Thomastik

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Steve Swan, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I recently got a set of Thomastik Superfexible strings with about 50 hours of playing time on them as an experiment. My first impression is better than I expected, as they seem pretty nice for both arco and pizz on a fairly dark sounding bass that I have. Does anyone out there use them regularly with good results?

Steve Swan

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    I use the E & A with a D & G Oliv and really like the results. Once the new brightness wore off, they were a great match. Good projection, good tone, my only complaint is the E is harder to start than the rest of the set when playing arco.

3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I try other strings from time to time, but I keep going back to Superflexibles on my old Kay. They really bring out the best in that bass.

4. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I agree that Superflexibles are a very good and versatile string. They are less wirey, get more bottom, and bow better than Spirocore. You can use the E&A with gut upper strings with good results. Good volume, long lasting, all around great string.

5. Spiro wiechs were too way bright and fretless bg sounding. Spiro Orchs were nice front end thump and just about bowable. Supers were dark, bowable and not too much sustain as they aged. They sound quite rich but modern without the buzz of spiros. They are a very smooth wrapped string that hold their tuning impeccably. I um and ahh about trying other strings but these are a sound I want and like out of my bass. I have a bevel on my fingerboard and compared to guys in the US a very high string height but this allows quite a variety of tone, a vertical into the fingerboard stroke on the e or a in particluar will make it growl or more horizontal stroke will give a warm thud.

I haven't tried other strings on this bass yet and the comment apply of course to this particular bass with me playing it as I didn't try these stings on the earlier bass I owned. Someone else, even playing my bass might hate them. It depends on the sound in your head.

One other caveat - my bass is developing - its 4 years old - and I'm curious to know if wiechs would sound like they did but haven't got the old set any more to try out.

Band players say they're happy and I'm insecure enough to ask more than I should :). Finnally, these strings are such good value that it's not like buying a set of Animas and hating them - worth anyone's trial if the descriptions of sound are in the right ball-park.

6. continuo77

continuo77

Mar 22, 2006
    I have used a super flex for my Low B on a Pollman 5 string. These strings seem to work well on darker, boomy basses, but if you have a bass on the other side of the spectrum expect alot of zzzzzzzzing.
    I actually prefer the super flex low B over the spirocore weich. Alot more clarity. Takes about a week for it to settle and "behave."