Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Superflexible VS Obligatos

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Ryan Nilson, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Ryan Nilson

Ryan Nilson

Feb 10, 2006
    Kansas City
    I am at the end of my obligatos life span. I liked the strings fairly well, but don't have alot of experience diffrent with strings. How do Obligatos strings compare to superflexible? I see that they have alot more tension from the chart. Will they seem pretty stiff if I switch? Which are darker? Do they have similar sustain? I am a jazz player, but I bow quite a bit for intonation practice.
    Thanks for the imput.

2. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    TI Superflexibles feel less stiff to me than the Spirocores I use on my main bass. Subjectively, their tension seems to be right in between Spiros and Obligatos. Superflexibles are also less bright than Spirocores. I wouldn't describe them as dark however.

Personally I think the only way to find out if strings are going work for you on your bass is to try them. Strings can and do sound very different on different basses, and what works for one person may not work at all for someone else.

Good luck!

3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I've replaced Superflexibles with Obligatos on both my basses in the past, one carved and the other an old Kay. At first, I was really pleased with the rich, more complex sound of the Obligatos. They are also easier on the fingers. At gigs I noticed that the Kay lost a lot of volume and ability to cut through. When I put Superflexibles back on, the bass came back to life. I've tried other strings on the Kay too, but the Supers seem to be the ones on that bass. You can get plenty of sustain from them, but I tend to set them up higher for more punch.

I put guts on the carved bass and never turned back.

+1