Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

superflexibles?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by moped10, Apr 22, 2003.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Before you guys start throwing eggs at me for not reading old posts, I HAVE done my reading but have not found near as much info on the Thomastik superflexibles as the Spiros. Just a couple quick questions for anyone that has used these: How's the sustain for jazz pizz? How's the volume? I still have Supernils on my Engle ply. Thanks!

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    They sustain about the same as Spiros. Their tension is similar to Spiro Weichs.
    Volume?
    Depends on your bass and how it'll react to the strings tension.
    As a example: many years ago I have an hungarian 3/4 ply.
    That bass LOVED the superflexibles, but whe I put on Spiros, the magic disappeared. I guess the Spiros had too much tension for the bass, and Superflexibles were just right!

HTH.

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I think they are highly underrated. They compare very well with Spirocore medium for pizz, are less scratchy arco and are darker, with more fundamental.

4. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes francois, I think the same high tension deadness might apply to my ply- That would explain why even the supernils sounded clearer than the high tension LaBellas that came on the bass- I'll give yous guys a report on the superflexibles- I just ordered a D and G from Lemur-
    Thanks for the input everyone-:)

5. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Moped10, I sent you a couple of PMs about Superflexibles.

6. I've had my Obligatos on for a year, and have noticed lately a significant loss tone, so I guess its time for a new set.

Since I was always a bit unhappy with the flabbiness of the Obligato A and particularly E, I thought I'd take a different tack altogether and try the Superflexibles.

What am I going to lose/gain?

7. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Mike, I have a set that I used for a couple of months that I will sell. PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

In terms of loss/gain, I cannot compare them to Obligatos. What I can tell you is that I find them to be somewhere between Spirocore Weich and Spirocore Orchestra (medium) in terms of tension. I was able to set the action fairly low with the Superflexibles without losing punch (I have a ply bass). They are somewhat darker than the Spiros but still have good sustain. They are easier to bow than Spiros, but can still be scratchy. Overall, I liked them quite a bit and was happy with them, I just like the Spiros better.

8. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Hi Francois,
    I just want to make sure that what you said about the tensions of both the Spiro weichs and superflexables being the same is correct.Because,according to this:

http://jordankirkness.tripod.com/dbstringtension.html

the tensions are quite different.Spiro weichs are not available in my country,but the superflexables are,so I was interested in trying them out.I prefer strings with lower tension(like the weichs),and when I saw that tension chart,I changed my mind.So who is correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

9. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The numbers indicated in the link you mentioned do not correspond to those given on Thomastik's site.
    However, it's true that the tension numbers of the Weichs are smaller than the Superflex, to my surprise.
    The TI site's numbers are similar for the Spiro mediums and the Superflex.
    This surprises me, as the gauge of the Superflex is thinner, and in my own experience, they feel more supple.

10. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    On the light of the previous message I posted, maybe I should say 'Their subjective tension is similar to the Weichs...

:)

11. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yeah, these numbers look very strange. If Eudoxa gut G is more tension than a Helicore Med., I'll eat my hat.

Monte

12. In my experience, Superflexible is less tension than Spirocore orchestra but a little bit more tension than weich. :)

I also compare with my Jazzer, Superflexible is almost the same tension (IMO, Jazzer is in the between weich and Orchestra).

But, IMO, both of Jazzer and Superflexible are darker tone than spirocore. However, Superflexible is bowable than jazzer---But, if your purpose just for pizz, Jazzer deliver more in pizz tone.

That is on my bass (7/8 Hofner german Plywood). But, it will be different on your bass.

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Does anyone know what the maximum life of a set of Superflexibles are.
    :confused:

14. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Depends what you consider a dead string!
    When it breaks?
    When it sounds a little darker?
    Steel strings may last for several years!
    Some Spirocore users have sets older than 10 years!
    But of course they sound more thumpy and less ringy.

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    For me it's when the string's intonation goes. Personally I don't think a string sounds good until it's been on the bass for at least a month; I have the evil [​IMG] red spiros on both by DB [6 years] and EUB [2 years].

16. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Then I think you can safely expect the Superflexibles to have a similar life lenght.
    The core doesn't use the exactly the same technology, but they have some similarities.
    I wouldn't worry about this, and they're quite affordable.

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Thankz :D :D :D

18. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    My current set of Superflexibles has been on my bass since the beginning of December. I play almost every day, and I am also a chronic tweaker of string height, so they have been detuned and tuned a great deal. Although they have darkened, they still have good sustain and continue to hold their intonation well.

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Well I got a set from Hammond Ashley today and put them on. My bass seems to like them and the response is quicker then the spiro starks; and no volume lost. Right now they sound "new" but nice; I did play a bass at the store that had a set on it that was older and I dug them. I took my bow in to be re-haired as well so I will have to wait a week to check out If they improve the arco sound of my bass at all; but if they respond similar on my bass as the one at the store I'll be happy. :hyper:

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Well I got my bow back today; and these strings are defiantly a improvement [I also have to add that Hammond Ashley did a very good job on my bow] and I no longer get that "alligator eating a car tire:p" sound.