1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

SUPERFLY still rocking...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Just thought I'd report back to those who asked...

My Ashdown Superfly is still going strong (well over a year of heavy gigging) and not a single issue and it's given me fabulous tone and reliability. Best deal I ever got on an amp.

Anyone else still gigging with theirs?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I do. :hyper:

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I still get lots of questions as to what amp I'm using.

I built a briefcase style carrying case for mine (with a removable top) that stores the head, cables, wireless, power strip and my Zoom B2 pedal.

I set it on my cabs, plug in and go. All you can see of the amp is the front of it showing on one side of the case. Of course I removed the unnecessary "extra" metal case the Superfly comes with to reduce heating and it makes it small enough to carry everything in this "briefcase".

Fabulous little amp. I have every place we play programmed into it, so I never have to check anything...just set the preset to whatever club I'm playing.

What a cool little amp. Too bad Ashdown dropped the ball on it.

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It does have issues. The stock aluminum case is a waste of ten pounds of metal, and there is some power supply clock noise bleed through. But the main problem was one of perception, being 'only' 250 watts per power amp. Many felt that not being able to bridge both channels into one cab made it underpowered, not realizing that very few cabs can make full use of 250 watts.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Mine is not very noisy at all. I must have the only one. ;)

I don't understand all the fuss over watts either. I think volume is the sum of the parts and it all works together. I think efficient speaker/cabs have more to do with volume than watts.

Heck I spent decades playing in LOUD rock bands with nothing more than a 200 watt head. With the Superfly having twp 250 watt power sections, I just don't get how anyone could need more (for most gigs anyway). I understand their perception that they do, but it's just a bass rig, not a concert PA.

I even play fairly large outdoor gigs and I run my Superfly into two 4 ohm 115's and I never come near cranking the head and it's plenty loud.

6. I agree that 250 watts x 2 into two relatively efficient 4ohm cabs is sufficient for most needs. The other issues with these heads is what killed it for me (weight, noise, etc.)

The problem with the power section is that many small, single speaker cabs that are widely available come in only 8ohm version. Since the head cannot be bridged, you need two 4ohm cabs to get the full power out of this head.

Also, quite a few players use one, larger 4ohm cab (like a 2x12 and 410), which is a great way to achieve a loud, single cab option with a small, moderately powered lighweight head that puts out 500-600 watts into 4ohms (monoblock or bridged).

So, +1... if you are using two small 4ohm cabs, the design works quite well IMO.

7. I would like to get one of the new ones when they come out.

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Which applies if you buy into the myth that getting the full power out of a head, any head, is a necessity. If that head is a 65 Bassman or V4, then sure. But since the average ten is displacement limited to only 40 watts far more often than not insufficient output capability is the fault of insufficent speaker count, and not insufficient power.

9. Assuming a relatively large cab (212, 410, etc.).....

Why is a Focus louder than a Clarus (by a LOT) or the MB SD800 versus the LMII (by a LOT), or an LMII running at 500 watts at 4ohms into a 410 versus into the 8ohm version of that 'same' cab.

And, why, when I tried one side of the Superfly into a moderate sized and SPL 4ohm 212, did the LMII completely blow it away in terms of absolute clean volume and non-compressed sound?

Why does the TF750 sound SO much fuller and louder than the TF550b? Whey does the AguilarDB750 sound SO much louder than the AG500?

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,.....:smug:

10. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    im getting one the lg1000! looks awesome hopefully if i get it b4 sep!!!!!!!!!

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    All of those comparisons are between amps, and that brings EQ, gain structure,compression, distortion and a dozen other factors into play. OTOH a driver that farts out with 40 watts applied will fart out with 40 watts applied, irrespective of the source.

12. No, many of my examples are using very similar amp design at different wattage levels, or the same identical amp running at 4ohm versus 8ohm into otherwise identical cabinets.

I of course agree that if, for example, a 210 is farting out or compressing at 100 watts, adding another 100 won't help (assuming it's the speaker farting and not the amp distorting). However, even the smaller cabs I own with those very high power ratings seem to easily handle and also increase in volume and clean open low end going from 100 to 200 to 300 watts or so. Again, you do then get diminishing returns with smaller cabs, but I have yet to reach what my ears hear as my various 410's farting out of compressing, all the way up to their rated maximum power (800-1000 watts), even as I get very close to that limit with a larger amp and am pushing the heck out of it.

13. I have a funny question, just because I'm funny and can ask it: If I were to use my Superfly's Line-Out into a power amp, could I power one cab with one of the Superfly's Speaker-Outs and another cab with the power amp?

Just a question.

14. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes you can. You can also use the effects SEND on the ashdown and send that signal to another power amp to power more cabs. The send does NOT interrupt the signal in the ashdown, so you can still use it's power section. I just dashed out and tried both setups (at low-to-moderate levels; not driven hard) and it all worked fine.

15. Interesting. Thanks!

16. When i read the thread title i was Hoping for a discussion about Cocaine, Cadillac's and Curtis Mayfield.....

darn.........

17. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm still gigging with mine, but not without complications. My unit doesn't always turn on. I've found via trial and error that if it doesn't turn on, I just need to remove the fuse and then put it back in. Not change the fuse (the fuse is ok, and I've tried a couple different ones just in case), just remove then put back. It's like it resets something - I have no idea why that seems to work, but it does.

I also have had no luck whatsoever getting it to work with my computer. I'd love to be able to adjust the attack time for the compressor and adjust the frequency and q of the lowest eq point, but I can't!:bawl:

It'd be great to communicate with one of you who have it working with your computer.

Otherwise I like the amp - I like having preset eq's for different basses/venues. I like putting it over my shoulder and taking my upright, speaker cab (Flite 1x15), and amp in one trip. I like it's general tone.

18. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I got my unit recently -- about a month ago. I was able to connect it to my PC, but I had to hunt around to get the proper software. At the time I first tried, Ashdown had an old version up, and that was useless for my PC (WinXP). Someone had posted the right version number, so I manually tried making that into a URL, and got the right software, and everything connected up fine. And then I emailed Ashdown, and they fixed the link on their site...and I felt it necessary to share that whole story :) so if you don't have the 4.x or whatever version, go back to the site and grab it. If you DO have the right version, have you tried different orders of plugging things in (e.g. plug in first, then start software. Plug in before turning on PC. plug in and power up before starting software, etc.)? Are you getting errors, or just nothing? Are you sure the USB port you're plugging into is wired up (I build my own computers, and one time I was plugging into a port that I never actually connected to the mobo...ugh...). Are you sure you have a working cable? Let's see if we can get it working!

19. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    BTW: I took the shell off tonight...I can't believe how heavy those side panels are! The handle is nice, but just not worth the weight...

20. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I still have an issue with mine, not powering up when switched on. About once every couple of months it refuses to work.

When it works, I like it. But, it is becoming a gamble rather than a sure thing. I actually take a second head just in case it won't work.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021