Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Superfood, or is it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ben Rose, May 26, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I like Odwalla Superfoods, but I wonder if they're really providing any health benefits. In terms of you standard nutrition label, there's not much going on, but the ingredients contain "open cell chlorella" and "spirulina".

So, are "open cell chlorella" and "spirulina" super nutricious?

Is it likely that there is enough good stuff in here to make it worth $3 for a 16oz drink, or is something else better. Should I just go drink a glass of water and a multi-vitamin?

I don't see sugar (or anything ending in "ose") listed as an ingredient, but it does taste pretty sweet. Is it all just sugar no matter what fruit it comes from (most likely the bananas in this case)?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've always been rather baffled by those types of things. A little while back my mom started making these Supergreen shake things. Upon examining the box for this stuff, it was basically like.

"behold the awesome power of green!"

Nutrition info didn't really say anything, it didn't even seem like an actual food item. So I dunno, I mean, I guess green is a cool color though.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I stay away from anything produced by Odwalla. My wife got e-coli in 1996 from Odwallas unpasteurized apple juice. Never again.

In general, I am skeptical of any of the mass produced $3 and up per bottle energy/nutrition/super drinks.

-Mike

4. Thanks, Mike. My views were perfectly reflected in your post.

Mike

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I work at Wild Oats, an organic food supermarket. Honestly, the Odwalla and Naked drinks are both incredibly delicious and healthy. Some may not think that it's worth the money, but people who get into the whole organicish healthy lifestyle think it's worth it. Some people think that higher quality nutrient packed drinks and food are worth the extra few bucks.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You really provided a clarity here that only someone in the industry could.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Everyone knows that green is healthy and gross while blue is fun and refreshing.

brad cook

8. Does it have aspartame and or potassium benzoate, or acesulfame-potassium? those are all artificial sweeteners. (If it has potassium this is usually either a electrolyte or an artificial sweetener.)

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Just buy a box of Total.

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Sorry, I'm a tad brainwashed.. Today was oldpeople day and I get lectured about shizzle like that. Honestly, I don't drink the stuff. I drink Vitamin Water, and that's aobut it. Still, I've had Odwallas and Nakeds.. They're good. Still, there are people who choose to buy them who feel that they are staying super healthy and will have a higher quality life. I'm a cashier, I can't tell you facts about the ingredients, I just know that a lot of people buy the drinks and love them.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was just poking fun at the fact that you started out by noting your affiliation with the health food business and then basically just saying "some people think it works, some don't." Not exactly industry insider info. :p

brad cook

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Funny story about one of those odwalla juices. A friend of mine decided he was going to fast for a day, consuming only juice and water. He went to CVS, got himself an odwalla juice and he comes home and drinks it, the whole while being like "yea! I'm not eating any food today!, just juice!"

He puts the bottle on the coffee table and I examine it only to find a little disclaimer/slogan thing in the corner that read:

This juice is food.

13. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Those sound like fancy ways of changing the names "cholera" and "salmonella" into something people would pay money to buy. Yuck. :spit:

14. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    The Odwalla Superfood is PEOPLE!!!

...I mean, it is green, right? ;)

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This message brought to you by Pepsi.

brad cook

16. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    The only ingredient with a chemical like name is "Soy Lecithin" which is a byproduct of soy bean processing.

There is also "Royal Jelly" which seems to be akin to honey (in that it comes from bees), and (I guess) accounts for some of the sweetness.

Regarding the e-coli outbreak in 1996, Odwalla immediately recalled all of its products, and moved to a "flash pasteurization" process for their foods. Still, I would not drink one that tastes off or is far past its expiration date.