Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

--SuperFunk!---

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by barroso, Oct 28, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am getting more and more in funk playing style.

i think to that sound similar to Bootsy Collins and all that black funky music from the seventies.

so i am thinking to have a more accurate sound, and i started getting info in wah, autowah, envelope filter and crazy stuff like that.

unfortunately where i live there is no selection and i have to order before try.

i am interested in the differences between the Electro Harmonix products called Doctor Q, Mini Q-Tron and Bassballs.

which one could be more indicate for the sound i am looking for? i use a Warwick Streamer Jazzman, a G&L L2000 and a Fender Precision for this kind of music.

can you indicate other brands that produce this kind of supefunkt effects?

is the combo octaver-envelope filter a good idea?

thanks

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey buddy, sorry to inform you that funk is a feeling more than a sound. Just think of it as a good bass player is meant to be felt and not heard. Funk comes from ones fingers and not by some effect alone. A funky bass player can be funky with a straight signal, the effect's just inhance's the feeling.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia

sounds wacky said by someone who uses:

boss gt-6b, digitech bp200, (from your profile...)

i know what you said. your words are obvious. and i don't need lessons about the feeling in music. i just want to know how helpful could be those effects to have a certain sound.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with this entirely - all the funkiest lines I have heard, have been about the feel of the player and I have often heard so-called funky effects used, which are decidely un-funky! ;)

5. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    The Q-tron and mini-Q are not bad, but many of the settings are not quite usefull for bass IMO.
    Meant more for the guitar I'd say. I have the bassballs and love it. Doesn't have much versatility
    to it's sound though. I'd give a seriously look into the EBS BassIQ and the Maxon AF-9 auto filter.
    Both sound awesome!

6. Ah the feeling issue again, that seems to be something sacrid to most players. If you say you have it, you don't; but that's not going to stop me from saying—I have funk and I'm playing in a hispanic death metal band. Nyah nyah nyah! :p :rolleyes:
    When I think of Bootsy I think of greasier filters, which are good ole Mike Biegel designed filters. The Mu-tron III, Q-tron, Q-tron+, and etc... If you're willing to spend the money for a decent filter you'll get a number of juicy, whacky sounds that Bootsy gets. Although I don't think there is an effect in exsistance that he doesn't have his grubby hands on. The Dr. Q is a very funky sounding filter, not as tweakable as I'd like, but that sound works well on the bass.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    hey barroso, I was not trying to be funny. when I started playing bass the only effect we had to use was fuzz or a wah wah peddle. I learned how to play at the start of the funk era and I am a converted drummer. Im sorry If you took what I said the wrong way but it's like me trying to play reggae, I can play the song but I lack feeling to make it sound believeable. An yes I do own some effect's as you mentioned but I don't only play funk and only use the boss. If you want to hear a good funk beat to see what I am saying then give a listen to pappa don't take no mess by james brown LOUD.

8. I'm in agreement with Bigfeet and have to say that for envelope filters I am a big EH fan. The EH pedals are a lot more organic sounding than a lot of the more recent pedals which to my ear are a bit too clean. I use a DrQ and BassBalls for live play and also have a Qtron and an old prized MuTron III that I use for recording. The Dr Q has a single envelope filter and also a bass pass switch saving your low end. The BassBalls has 2 filters that work slightly out of phase from each other and you get an almost flange effect as they pass.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Barroso,

Boy, I must be getting real old! I was playing funk when you were 1 or 2 years old. Parliament, Sly, Graham Central Station, Ohio Players, Tower of Power, James Brown, etc.

You're doing the right thing by researching the issue in this forum. Spend an afternoon browsing previous threads on effects here at TB, and you'll learn alot. You'll also find that one man's favorite effect box is the next guy's piece of crap.

I've read good things about the other effect pedals mentioned, and I've tried most of them out. I ended buying a new Ibanez SB7 Synthesizer Bass pedal. The name is misleading, because it's not really a synth box, it's just an envelope filter. It does the job though, and for ony about $60, new. It's all a matter of "individual taste and how much do you want to spend".

Keep reading the posts, try a few pedals out at the music store, and then you'll find something that you like. Good Luck!

10. M.T.A.C.

M.T.A.C. Banned

Dec 8, 2007
    I found the superfunk tonight. Seriously

You have to have a 2 channel amp for this to work. 2 seperate effects loop's. (as in SWR mini 'mo preamp) Of course 2 seperate speaker cabs

Channel 1 Ulron>sub wav>DD-6
    Channel 2 Vintage DOD FX25>flange>DD-6

=SUPERFUNK :hyper:

11. +1 to the old DOD FX25s. I finally caved and picked one up yesterday after listening to a whole lot of Praxis and for $35, I came closer to Bootsy's sound than I've ever been with my whole setup.

It's very hard to control (the envelope tends to close very fast and when it does you're left with a very dub-y LPF with a huge boost), but that's why it's great -- super 'organic' sounding, perfect for bass. I feel like aside from maybe a Mutron III, it is THE funk envelope filter.

OP - octavers are great for funk, but IMO if you get an FX25, you won't need or want it. If you do get one, my favorite for funk is the Wammy IV. Rocking it like a wah is fantastic fun and super funky.

MTAC -- congrats on the new setup. Now add a Whammy IV in there and see.

12. jonpopu

jonpopu

Nov 3, 2006
    Chicago
    Ahhhhhh Zombie Thread!!!

13. Heh, totally didn't notice. I feel silly for giving the OP advice now... :bag:

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, isn't the Doctor Q the original funk inspired envelope filter effect? Not sure what auto-wah pedal was around at that time. But like it was mentioned, the effect alone is not gonna make you funky. Study the style first and immerse yourself in it. You'll get it!

15. If you're looking for an envelope filter with octaver capabilities, the digitech bass synth wah has a setting for that. You can get one pretty cheap used.

+1 on the DOD fx25 also. I own both and love them.

16. M.T.A.C.

M.T.A.C. Banned

Dec 8, 2007
    Hey Bongo, see your not the only one :bassist: Wich FX25's do you have Bongo ?

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have all of them. :D

[​IMG]

Actually there's one more version, similar to the second and third ones, which I've seen before.

This might be a predictable opinion, and I might be fooling myself by hearing what I think I'm supposed to hear, but IMO the older they are the better they sound. :)

18. prsbass

prsbass

Oct 13, 2006
    Seattle
    Really the guy asks for effects advice and that's what you tell him? We all know you gotta have good feel for funk but pedals color your tone in a way that feel or playing style could never do.

barroso
    Check out the Musictronics Mu-tron III if money is no problem but if you want to go on the cheaper side. The Boom stick Bottom feeder is great. Oh and I like to run a phaser with those pedals for an even funkier spaced-out sound.

19. M.T.A.C.

M.T.A.C. Banned

Dec 8, 2007
    LOL if you ever need 146.00, you know who to PM for the top left one ;)

20. Earwaxsculptor

Earwaxsculptor Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    The Garden State
    You mean a version like this one, uh err...two....a THREE!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Actually one is A o.k. but I still have yet to fix the other two, I think I narrowed it down to a resistor, it seems to be the same resistor in both bad units but I have not had the time to play with them lately.