Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

supermarket peeves

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think I posted about this once before, but what the hey. I live across the street from Wladbaums so I make frequent visits. The cashiers never cease to freak me the hell out. Yesterday, I buy 2 big things of cat litter cuz they're on sale. I put them on the sliding belt, the cashier sneezes a huge sneeze into both his hands, then grabs the handles of my cat litter and scans them. I just looked at him and he was completely clueless that he did anything that anyone should be annoyed at.

Then there's the girls that lick their fingers (this is what I already posted about). They lick their fingers to open the plactic bags and count everyones money before giving it to them. Nobody ever says anything. Not even me.

Finally, and I'm not the overly concerned environmentalist, but what's with the 8000 plastic bags per customer and the dirty looks if I ask them not to double bag something or fit it all in one bag. I can buy ten items and they give me 6 bags, without exaggeration! What the hell are they thinking? It freaks me out.

Is it just here in beautiful sunny NYC? is it the mentality of cashiers in general? do people have any concern for anyone other than themselves and do they realize their actions effect other people they come in contact with.

i'm done.

2. I've seen the million different bags for 10 items thing at Walmart before. They seem to seperate the items by what they are. So if you got 2 cans of soup it goes in one bag and the bag of chips goes in another. It's stupid, I agree. Thankfully there is Food For Less across the street and you bag your own stuff so you can pack a bag as full as you wish!

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I live about three blocks from two different supermarkets. I shop at the one that has a bit higher prices, but has the "U-scan" self checkout stations. In fact, I just walked in the door, carrying the one item I bought and checked out myself. No bag, thank you.

I am very used to getting odd reactions when I request that my purchase not be put into a bag. Sometimes I'll explain, "this product... is already packaged... IN A BAG!" What gets me is when the cashier grabs a bag (usually despite an earlier request, because they're in the habit of always grabbing a bag) and throws it away because it's no longer attached to the bag dispenser thingy. So much for my meager attempt to reduce waste and help the environment! I tried doing the canvas shopping bags thing, but that required too much thought, planning and structure in my routine to ever actually work.

I don't much hold it against the checkers, though. I think that they are often following store policy that panders to customers who value some perceived convenience of having lots of bags. And there seems to be no shortage of those types.

:meh:

4. More often than not, that's why they do it. Most of them even know it's stupid. I worked at a supermarket for 3 years, and you're encouraged to go with more bags as opposed to fewer, for the most part. This is for a number of reasons...separating certain items, not making bags heavy for customers, avoiding a break, etc. I didn't often work as a bagger, but it's incredibly tedious and many people are very uptight about how you bag their groceries. That job is a huge part of the reason that many experts would consider me clinically insane.

As for licking the fingers before touching bags and currency...that's pretty gross to see, but it's doubtful that the saliva of your average cashier contains that much more bacteria than his/her hands, given that they spend all day punching a keypad that's likely never been cleaned and handling items that have been touched by many, many people whose hands are often less than clean. That sneezing story is a little much, though...honestly, man, wipe your hands. :rollno:

5. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    The people who like to park their carts in the middle of the aisle or when there's a good flow of traffic and someone stop right in the middle to grab something. Park your cart and then get it instead of backing up traffic. There's also the people whom ram their carts into your ankles. It also annoys me when I find a frozen fish in the peanut butter shelf, but that's not the store's fault. Then there's the families with 5 kids and they let him run around the store or let the kids stay in the toy aisle. My friend worked at a supermarket and his job was to put the toys back into the boxes after the kids have taken them out. The place were I shop charges for bags so I usually bring my own unless I forgot. I hate food shopping and I try to only go once every 2 weeks or so.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The hygiene thing? Say something. Make a spectikal of it. Draw attention.

I bring my own bags to the stores.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    While we're on the subject, I'd just like to say that I ALWAYS return my shopping cart to the cart corral thingy, and I use this habit to gauge my moral superiority to the rest of the great unwashed masses. The failure to park carts, and urine-covered toilet seats in public restrooms, are probably my biggest peeves in this life. And now you know.

8. You're a good man. Seriously, having to go collect carts in a thunderstorm when they're scattered all across the parking lot sucks. Big time. Also, I find people who misplace items intentionally (as in they decide the don't want the can of soup they have so they toss it in a bin of Jell-O) are being very inconsiderate. I picked up a lot of gallons of milk that I found sitting around when I worked at BiLo, and I had to pour the majority of them out, unsure as to whether they were out too long. Very, very wasteful and inconsiderate.

Never had to clean the bathroom, though, thank God.

9. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I never buy enough to require a buggy (beer runs aside). Very much a day to day shopper. The self checkouts are okay, The error a lot and require something to be cleared often, so it can occasionally be a bit of a hassle, but there is rarely a line. My worst experience though to date, though not with the supermarket itself. Was in a Safeway parking lot in Denver. It was about 1am or so, parking lot was empty spare a few employee cars. I park away from everyone (new car) answer a call on my cell phone, and some guy in an old beat up truck pulls in, parks next to me and opens his door into me. I mean what the hell?? fortunately no damage, but I did tear him a new one.

10. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Long back, I worked retail in an electronics franchise. A customer bought something tiny like a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

I asked if he needed a bag, and the customer said no thanks.
    After the customer left, I got told by the management to give them a bag. Don't ask.

Not all cashiers are dumb they just follow (what we consider) silly policies that are part of them being hired.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    That's really funny, ironic, and true. I must use it.

I actually gained some insight from the responses here. Never really realized that if they bagged things the way I prefer (the environmentally conscious way), they'd be fighting all day long with customers. I'm sure they are told to bag things that way, it becomes habit and they don't even think about it. Perhaps I'll have an ounce more tolerence with the bag thing in the future.

They even try to bag my 10 containers of cat litter, which have freaking handles on them. That's inexcusably stupid.

12. Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Dec 11, 2003
    Australia
    I live in Melbourne, Oz where more and more people are using the canvas shopping bags. 2 or 3 years agao when my hubby and I started using them, we got some weird looks from the cashiers.Last year we visited Denmark where you pay extra for a bag so everyone has a backpack for their groceries.

The worst thing I've seen in a supermarket is a raw chicken breast someone abandoned in the canned food section- Grotesque!!

13. How about this............

Go to the dairy case and get a gallon of milk, carry it to the check out using the buit-in handle........... check out......

Cashier; "Do you want your milk in a bag?"

Me; "Why?"

Cashier; "So you can carry it easier!"

Me; :eyebrow:

......Jim

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I guess it speaks volumes that when I let a woman in front of me in line (she had like, 3 things, I had a basket load), she eyed me suspiciously, as though I had said she could go ahead and take a bite of uranium or something. It seemed like common courtesy to me, but she seemed so offput by that, I think it would have been easier if I'd just gone first. She was kind of watching me the entire time, thinking I was going to do something other than let her cut in line.

Go figure.

Well, of course, given that I look like I do (some TBers can attest to me looking like me), maybe I should just remain quiet.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Let's not forget the idiots with 2 carts jam packed full of crap, 2 screaming kids begging and crying for all the candy they put at the checkout isles. Never fails, they never carry cash. Of course, they never start to fill out the check until everything else is done, and have to write it in their register before they will move their big asses.

Meanwhile, I am standing behind them waiting the whole time with one or two small items for a cash sale.

I am guessing these are the same people who just leave their carts wherever in the parking lot, which I normally find crashed into my truck while I was waiting for the hog to write her check. A few years ago, I had a virtually brand new truck I had owned a week, with an $18,000 note. Nice cart into the side of it with it's first door ding.

Ever picked a shopping cart over your head and heave it as far as you can?

I have

16. I worked for 5 years in the grocery buisness in every department (except checker). The stupidity and strangeness of both the shoppers and my co-workers never failed to amaze me. some of my favs:
    The people who use a credit card or check to buy a pack of gum.
    The people who wait till the last minute to do thier thanksgiving shopping then flip out that we were out of something or that the lines are too long.
    The people who are on food stamps that feed thier 5 screaming kids nothing but T.V. dinners, candy, and soda pop. Then they turn around and buy 3 cartons of camel cigarettes and a few cases of corona beer, but no condoms.
    The similar people who let thier kids drink a big latte or a red bull and then scream at them and hit them because thier jacked up, hyperactive kids won't stand still and behave. Might as well let the kids smoke crack.
    The store managers who totally understaff, work you to death, and talk to you like you are subhuman prisoner, so they can get fat bonuses at the end of the year for having low operating costs. Then, when he gets fired for running a crappy store with low morale, he sues the company on the grounds that his employees are all racist (when nothing could be further from the truth). He settled out of court for well over $100,000. and then buys the "Big O" tire store in Grants Pass, Oregon. True story, (david gaskin, are you out there, you phoney P.O.S.?) (sorry guys, I get a bit emotional on this one)
    "The cat lady", every grocery store has one of these people. You can smell the cat piss on her from 3 aisles away, she is usually a bit strange but very polite. She always wants you to do a carry out and load the 500lbs of cat food and litter into her early 80's datsun 510 station wagon. The only problem is as soon as she opens the door (talking to herself the whole time) you get nailed by the pungent stench of sun baked 120 degree cat piss vapors. No matter what you do, you walk around the rest of the day with that smell on you. Thank god she only comes around once a month! Her visit is usually followed by a visit from that hot chick that you finally got up enough nerve to talk to last week. ug!
    "The can lady" she is very similar to "the cat lady" except she spends the last of her days looking for cans. She rides a 1970's 3 speed schwinn "town and country" trike and smells like stale beer. She is usually a little nuttier than, but her social skills are better than, "the cat lady". She always carries a 8x10 velvet painting of Jesus in her basket and she wears one of those sun hats that looks like a rainbow unbrella. She is the widow of the guy who probably invented titanium and her net worth is in the neighborhood of 2.5 million dollars. Go figure.
    Shoplifters who get caught red handed and then turn around and yell at you saying that it isn't fair because the only reason you were watching them is because they don't have nice clothes etc. (when the real reason you were watching them is because they have $600 worth of fine steaks, $200 worth of cheap beer, 50 hershey bars, 1 bag of "funions" and they are waltzing out the door with everything in a heaping shopping cart but nothing is in bags!).
    Elderly people (with money) who think it is very cruel and unusual of you to bust them for shoplifting tobacco in front of thier grandkids.
    lazy co-workers who play stupid on purpose so nobody expects much of them.

p.s. the wall mart in Casa Grande Arizona has the LARGEST collection of the fattest, ugliest, most clueless people I have ever seen in my life, BY FAR! Thanks for letting me rant yall!

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Some of you guys are REALLY serious about grocery shopping.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I don't care if they give me buttloads of bags... We use them to pack our lunche and stuff of that sort, so the more bags we get the better.

And places here actually give you partial refunds if you bring their bags back.

edit(JT): :eyebrow:

19. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Tim and kratekyle, all I can say is your posts were the funniest thing I've read all day..awesome. :D

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I shop weekly, so it is not as obvious to me. Even if I spent more time at the grocery store, I generally do not allow these types if things to bother me so much.

But.....like secretdonkey, I do look down upon those who are too lazy to park their empty cart in the corral. Losers!! :D

-Mike