Superstitions & rituals

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Edinburgh_Bass, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Edinburgh_Bass

Edinburgh_Bass

Jan 12, 2009
    Hey, just wondering if anybody has any rituals they go through before, during or after every gig - or any strange little superstitions surrounding your bass and your playing?

:ninja:

2. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    Well, I make sure to never leave the house without a special pick in my wallet. It's the first one I ever broke while playing, something I did a lot back in the day, I keep one half in the wallet and the other stuck to my amp.

3. bassophil

bassophil

Jan 17, 2009
    My ritual is to drink 2 beers before the gig and lots of after! :bassist:

4. Tune.........

5. ha! just the usual forearm and wrist stretching

6. I feel as though my basses have personalities. Any time I've been in a crap mood and went to play them, they sound crap. Any time I'm in a good mood and treat them with the respect they deserve, they sound awesome for me. Works with other people too. Someone who hated my bass picked it up just out of curiosity and it sounded terrible. I picked it up and it sounded nice and sexy.

So yeah...respecting my basses:pvery important!!

7. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    Sounds like my car, only it's always awesome and other people only think it's crappy.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    A necessary smoke out, some stretching, a beer and Im good to go!

9. bassophil

bassophil

Jan 17, 2009
    ahh....tuning is overrated :p

10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i never rehearse with a band the night before a gig.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I wash my hands after handling all the nasty ass cables, get a cocktail (varies by venue) tune up, run through some scales with my amp off, re check tuning, turn amp on, and Go!

12. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

yep , that's a pretty typical "pre-gig" for me ...:bassist:

13. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    2 jagermeisters and a beer, or some combination those with different numbers. :D

14. Kimpini

Kimpini

May 14, 2008
    Indiana
    If I ever gigged I would probaly get pumped up by shouting at my reflection.

15. The typical... tune up, fast fret, get in a good stretch, and then find something heavily caffeinated to chug.

16. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    I drink about 8 beers, then go into the toilet(dripping of sweat) look at myself in the mirror and scream as loud as i can "YOU CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!". Then i head back in pick my bass up and tryn entertain the old age pensioners in the corner

17. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    tune it, play it, get paid, get laid, go home......

18. i dont like playing the night or two before, but i do like drinking the night or two before, and also before, during, and after a gig. sometimes i just drink even if there isnt a gig, but i never gig without a drink. i usually drink during practice come to think of it...

19. DawnOfNone

DawnOfNone

Jan 19, 2009
    Ghent, Belgium
    It's also a great routine for making your 4 string look like a six string.

20. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah I haven't really developed any rituals. Just tune, tell myself that I can get through this just fine. It usually works out well.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021