Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pepito, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Several years ago I was in a guitar store in Wisconsin to buy bass strings. They had two different kinds of Rotosound strings- Swingbass 66s, and another set that the package boasted were "superwound." They were fantastic strings, so when they wore out I went back for more- but no! I've never seen them since. Was I dreaming?
  2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    No, you were not dreaming. The Superwound brand was the brother of the Rotosound brand, both of which were owned by James Howe industries. The Superwound brands all had what they called a "piano string design" or exposed core over the bridge saddles. This was the construction used on ALL their strings, not just the bass strings. From what I understand, they made flat and semi-flat bass sets that were also exposed core. The Superwound brand doesn't exist anymore but Rotosound makes a set called RS99 Piano String Design which is just like the old Superwound sets. They are only offered in one gauge 45 65 85 105 and have an adjustable ball end so you can determine the core length you need for your particular instrument. These are stainless steel roundwounds. I personally have never used these strings but I've always wanted to try them. I hope that wasn't too much information.
  3. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Yeah,I used the Superwound 606 exclusively for years on all my basses until I could not find them anymore.Now I use Labella Super Steps.
  4. gorgothor

Sep 1, 2009
    Granby, Qc
    Actually a store here in Granby, Quebec has a lot of Superwound 707 for sale at 5$ canadian each...

I got 2 sets to try them and can't wait to see the results...
  5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I can remember trying the Superwounds when they first came out late 70s/early 80s - despite the differences in construction, I thought that they felt and played pretty similar to the ordinary Rotosound strings to me at the time.
  6. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    What that was, was an entirely useful, informed, complete response - very hard to come by around here.

I used to use Superwounds back in the day where I was trying to emulate Mark King in every possible way, and I've been curious about what happened to them. Thanks!
  7. Sungodv

Mar 27, 2005
    I am down to three unused sets of double ball Superwounds for my Steinberger. I just keep boiling the current set.
    They are the best strings I have ever used on my 'Berger.
    Wish they were still produced. :O[
  8. I too used the superwound 606 PSD back in 1976. I still have the empty package from 1976, which I recently found in my gig bag.
    I used strings on my 1976 Fender Fretless Precision Bass. Used them for our cover of Stanley Clarke's "Lopsy Lu". Those strings resonated nicely. Sure would like to find a contemporary equivalent set of strings. Any suggestions?
    01a-My bass strings from 1976.jpg
  9. Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Douglas Mark likes this.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Klonk likes this.
  11. SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Superwound strings were great, esp. on fretless where they really delivered the promised brightness and harmonics of a round-wound without 1) damaging the fingerboard and 2) squeaking and grinding your fingertips when sliding around. I still have a set on my fretless but they have been there many years and are 'past their best'. Aside from the La Bella strings mentioned above, what other pressure-wound strings would you guys recommend, e.g. Rotosound Solo Bass?
  12. JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    TI SuperAlloy, GHS Pressure Wounds, Ken Smith Compressors. All Alloy 52.