1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Supplementing a Bose L1 with a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazlikethat, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Jazlikethat

Jazlikethat

Feb 25, 2008
    Hey I'm looking into the Bose L1 as something to support my vocals or the vocals of a singer I might happen to be playing with. Looking around the internet, I've noticed that bass players who use it aid it with 4-6 "bass modules," which seems a little ridiculous. I was wondering if one is able to plug into the L1 and in stead of using bass modules use a cab. Will the L1 be able to power a cab? (hope this isn't a stupid question, I've been using combo amps my whole life).

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I see no reason why it shouldn't work. If I was considering that system, I would definitely try out a few different bass cabs with it, at least during the money back period. The idea of backing it up with a mountain of inefficient subwoofers seems impractical.

3. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Have you tried checking the forums at Bose? I haven't been there in ages, but they did have a very active and informative forums for these systems.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1, highly impractical. I'm not familiar with the L1 as far as SPL/power etc. but I can't imagine buying 4 or 6 sub boxes when something like an Acme B2 or one of BFM's tuba24's would do that job. Even a 115 in a decent size cab would go deep enough to sound good on bass guitar.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In my view, the main issue is that mainstream bass guitar speakers are not subwoofers. Most of us play through speakers that give up response in the lowest register, in return for much higher overall sensitivity. The problem is not the Bose system, but would be true of any general purpose PA designed for flat response.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I always see them advertised as a package with one little, I think 10", sub. Doesn't seem like that would get loud enough if it's a true subwoofer but as I said, I don't have that much experience with them. The only couple of times I've played with someone who used them they handled vocals and horns, no sub, no bass, no drum mix.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I would recommend against using conventional cabs with the L1. There's a lot of fancy processing and EQ going on in that system, and it may just not sound good.

Of course, if you have the equipment handy, by all means experiment with it.

In one of my bands, the multi-guitar/mando/whatever player uses an L1. For last week's gig, he brought just the electronics control-head to use as a DI. He couldn't get its EQ to anything without the rest of the L1 system. Our conclusion was that it's made to work as a system and not as separate pieces.