Supplier of Stainless Steel Mandolin frets?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DaveCustomMade, Mar 14, 2006.

1. I was wondering if anyone knew of, or had access to, a supplier of stainless steel mandolin frets? I want to use them on my next project, but don't want to have to change them out within 5-10 years.

Anyone who can help will be appreciated. :help: :)
  2. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars

Menzerna USA supplies stainless steel mandolin wire.

PM me for a phone number....

3. LMII and Warmoth both have stainless, not sure on size.

Edit: just checked, and they both have .080 wide x .043 high in stainless. Warmoth also has larger stainless.
  4. I didn't see any mandolin sized frets on Warmoth. Especially not the stainless steel.

I was considering getting a Gecko neck from them, but the smallest frets they offer are the 6105, which are .102" x .049"

They said they wouldn't put the 6230 (.08" x .043") on the Gecko neck. I would have compromised for those, but apparently they won't do those. :(

I've looked at LMII, and I can only see the nickel/silver mandolin frets there (FW68).

Keith, thanks, I'll send a PM.
  5. Yeah, when it comes to Warmoth, it is not really true "custom" but rather "choose from our selection".

If you're not building the neck yourself, you could try USA Custom Guitars.
  6. I found their webpage and discovered that they only have up to a 5 string neck. Mine is going to be a 6 string. Anyone know of another maker of a 6 string neck other than Warmoth? . . . . . . Perhaps I should start a new thread and keep this one about anyone who knows of stainless steel mandolin frets.

Thanks for the info! :)