1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Supporting Members: what would your "Lobby Wish List" be?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The mods and admins have been discussing what should be done with the Lobby. There have been several "where threads go to die" discussions here, and people seem to have become tired of talking about religion. We allowed a bit of political discussion in This thread to see what would happen, and for the most part it didn't completely burst into flames. Whatever happens, what we don't want is for the lobby to turn in a "disrespectful flame war forum", which is what political discussion has usually turned into in the past.

Having said that, what would your wish list for the Lobby be? We can't make any promises, but are open to listening to suggestions and ideas. Got ideas? Post 'em here. :)

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    There has been relatively rare (in forum land) degree of civility here. More*respectful* political discourse would help restore my faith in American democracy*.
    I suppose you could post some more detailed constraints ,(like no ad homonym "if you believe X then you've been fooled" attacks) but enforcement probably would create more work than the mods need...Maybe if such threads began with a stern reminder of the need for civility and open mindedness...

*Actually my faith in American democracy is fine...every time I hear some partisan hyperbole that offends logic and reason, I just remind myself the the political extremism is what gets the news coverage. People with differing political opinions getting along just fine and neighborly isn't "news" ...it's normal. But it would be nice to see that degree of civil disagreement in action on political threads (other "touchy" lounge threads seem to embody this kind of civility.)

3. I think opening up political topics is worth another try. Given the low traffic here (at least now), I don't imagine it would take too much moderation. I would also request the members to report anything getting out of control so there wouldn't be so much proactive moderation required.

I know the history of opening political discussion here as well as anywhere, forum or otherwise. The down sides are obvious. However, the upsides are huge. People coming from different ideologies, backgrounds, and educations have an opportunity to learn from others. Public discourse is where this happens. It doesn't happen by constant and exclusive exposure only to the media, literature, and counsel you seek. We can all learn from varied and sometimes opposing viewpoints.

4. I also heard someone suggest to place the Lobby forum link in the main forum list, possibly next to Off Topic. By having it on the main list, it is more accessible for most people and just seeing the link there will encourage people to click into it. It would also sit there tempting non-supporting members who think they are missing something in here.:D

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You might want to post this thread in OT. I doubt anyone will see it in the lobby! :D

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I suppose my wish list would include more traffic. I poke my head in here every blue moon or so, mostly because that seems to be as often as other people post in here as well.

I'd like to [del]viciously flame people[/del] calmly discuss political and religious subjects, but with the low traffic, there's not enough pull to really get into any subjects.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Much as I hate to do this what with Mark being from Australia and all, I'm going to move this to OT to get some more ideas from the membership. What we *don't* want is another flame fest like TPA turned into. What we do want is something to offer supporting members that is within the scope and intent of Paul's rules for the site - especially as regards rule #1 - that livens up the Lobby and ends up as an extra perk of supporting membership.

Please post your wish list, and keep it as "serious" (as serious as is possible in OT) as you can so that we don't have to weed through a lot of "more boobiez pleaze" and "i'd hit it with a pile driver" type posts. Thanks!

8. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I guess more use by other members would encourage me to visit more often.
    There have been times when discussion was fairly lively, but it is largely unpopulated these days.
    Maybe door prizes would help.

9. Hmm - I was not aware of this 'Lobby'. I will have to check it out and then report back on what I'd like more of.

10. I think this would be good. I honestly forget that the Lobby exists because the link isn't on the main page.

lowsound

11. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Please, no political discussion. One thing that I like about TalkBass is that I can come on here and just talk about bass. There are millions of political forums that people can use as an outlet. They usually just repeat the same 20 or 30 tag lines over and over and over anyway.

I've participated in a few threads that got closed. Maybe the lobby can be a continuation of 'controversial' music related threads.

12. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I concur with the ideas of putting a link to the Lobby either in the Off-topic forum or in the Bass Guitar/Double Bass sections.

I know it's just a few clicks away, but the fact that it's in a place in the forum that I don't frequent, I tend to forget that it's there.

I'm sure some others have this same problem!

13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I've actually never been in the lobby. I guess having it easier to find would be a start.

As far as politically natured discussions are concerned, I personally would love to try to have them. There have actually been a few threads in OT that were political in nature (illegal immigration for one) that actually were very thought provoking and civil that did not end in the thread being closed.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Hot chick threads, no PG rating.

15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Seconded!

16. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Politics will bring more people to the Lobby, for sure. As far as civility is concerned, people with serious political views here at TB would love to have an avenue to chat about them, but for me, it's not worth it if it will degenerate into the usual extremist name calling and close-mindedness that was previously there.

Threads will develop on their own if the traffic is there. MEANINGFUL discussions about the business side of music would likely be far more informative than those covered in the regular (non-Lobby) forums. :cool:

So if politics is the only means of dragging folks into the Lobby, maybe give it a shot and have hopes that it won't degenerate as it has in the past ....

17. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    How about using the Lobby to announce any site changes, features, etc. to the Supporting Members before announcing them to the whole site. Use it to get feedback from the people who have given money to the site or give them the privilege to hear certain news before everyone else.

Unless you already do this and I'm unaware of it?

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    It's just that you're out :p

Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Spreading the news to those who showed a bit of dedication to TB first.

19. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    +1 for the politics in the lobby, and putting a link to it in OT.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    FWIW, and I only get one vote out of the three admins on the panel, but I'm against this because I'd like TB to be a friendly place for *all* bassists to gather, male and female; and if I were female, I wouldn't want to be bumping into "hot chick" threads, especially ones that weren't PG rated or below. God knows there's enough of that on the internet that we don't need it here.

That said, I can always be outvoted on this issue.