Supporting Membership Donation Process - Input Requested

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, Sep 28, 2005.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Ok, I'll post this in the 'Box since I'm looking for YOUR suggestions :) Here's the issue: Currently when a user wants to upgrade to supporting membership, or renew a current subscription, he/she must go through the TalkBass Store - adding the donation to their cart, selecting options to receive a free CD etc, and checking out with a credit card or paypal to donate.

This process requires me to manually upgrade, record, and notify users of the upgrade. I therefore ask (twice, in BOLD, under the 'Terms and Conditions' on the support info page) for 2 business days to process account upgrades.

Problem: I get TONS of angry emails from users who have just donated a few hours ago wondering "I PAID MY MONEY, WHY CAN'T I POST AN AD? WHY CAN'T I UPLOAD AN AVATAR???". Apparently nobody reads the info i post even if it's in bold and listed twice :(

Possible solution: Our forum software, vBulletin, comes with a built-in donation and account upgrade system. I can set it up so that to upgrade, you'd go to My TalkBass, select your donation amount, pay with a credit card or paypal, and instantaneously your account would be upgraded to Supporting Membership (or renewed).

Drawback: I would not be able to offer free CD's or any other 'free stuff' in return for donations, since no address info, or any other form info can be gathered via vBulletin's process.

Internet users these days are used to 'instant gratification', and I think the 2-day waiting period is just going to cause more and more headaches...

Thanks for listening and helping me think this one out :)

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I think people who can't be patient and wait for two day need to chill out. That's about all there is to it. :D
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think when someone tries to challange you on the 2 day thing (even me), you should simply point out about the email that has in bold that this is how long it takes....

I don't want to miss out on my hats every year!!! :D
  4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I like my swag!

Can't you just -- maybe you do already -- post a "your account will be active in two days" note between selecting your prize and clicking the confirm button?
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    When I re-up, I'll be patient. This is a donation. They are not really buying anything, but you have decided to throw in something extra to make it even more worthwhile. If you did decide to do it the other way, maybe there is a way you could PM or e-mail them a code to redeem their free gift. That would satisfy both sides...
  6. The instant upgrade idea is a cool one. I think it could help alleviate some of the work on your part, Paul. Would be easier for the user as well, IMO.

Maybe the member could send you an email if they would like to have the free gift with the subscription. They could include their shipping info and you could send out the stuff that way. That way they get the avatar and such and can wait for the gift in the mail. Something to tide them over. Just an idea.
  7. i dunno, i don't see what two days makes...i wasn't in a huge rush to have an avatar, two days isn't that i like getting the free stuff...that makes the two day wait all worth it!
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    hats ? i never got a hat...
  9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    +1. They paid it and recieved comfomation e-mails. It will come soon enough.
  10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    they waited their whole lives to support TB.

they can wait two more days.
  11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Also, someone that complains that they have to wait two days to get their status should just order their membership two days earlier. :rolleyes: :D