Supportive bass gear manufacturers appreciation.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Spent, Dec 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I was just thinking of the amazing support I've gotten over the year from bass gear manufacturers. It seems they are unique in their desire to put our needs above profit. Here a are a few of my experiences, I'd like to hear yours.

I've been to Stuart Spector's shop on a few occasions. The first time I met Stuart he spent three hours showing me around and talking about everything from basses, to fly fishing to painting. A pot went on my Euro and they insisted I stop by to have it fixed. I got a great set up from Jimi and free t shirt to boot. Always treated my right, not bad for a weekend warrior.

I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Martin Keith. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Amazingly modest too. He has a great family too. Our wives are co workers.

I attached a funny note to my Gallien Krueger 800RB registration once. Bob Gallien's secretary called to tell me how much he liked it and that he wanted to send me a t shirt. I must have had over a dozen detailed email correspondances from one his engineers once. I was attempting a repair on a 1001RB. They guy was so patient, never made me feel like it was a bother. Took a real interest in seeing it through.

My Facebook friend, Larry Hartke, went out of his way to get me a new driver for my HyDrive 410 once. It was less than a month old and one of the drivers crapped out. Musicians Friend, where I got it, wanted me to return it and said it would take a few weeks. Just so happened my 410XL had just blown a driver (the reason I bought the HyDrive) so I didn't have a spare. I found Larry's phone number on TB and called him. He sent me drivers for both cabs even though the 410XL was over ten years old. He couldn't care less, just wanted me to be happy with his gear. We had a great conversation as well. The guy treats you like an old friend.

I called Phil Jones Bass customer service once when my Bass Buddy started acting up. Phil answered the call himself. We had a great conversation, mostly consisting of me telling him how amazing I thought his stuff was. Apparently he likes to keep in touch with his customers.

And of course we all see how amazing Jeff and Andy from Genz Benz are. I've corresponded with Andy about my Shuttlemax and he's always been very helpful and gracious. All Jeff does anymore is tease us with new gear. The man is going to make me lie to my wife...again. No dear, it's not new, I've had that amp for years.

What other industry has such talented builders who take the time to talk to their customers? I can't think of any. I have had such great experience over the years and truly appreciate their dedication to their craft.

kodiakblair, S-Bigbottom and GregC like this.
  2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

EMG did me a solid. They replaced a dead pickup for free....on a used bass that I bought.

Spent likes this.
  3. Dominick C.

Dominick C.

Jul 2, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    I don't like mean people or mean comments....
    I have had beyond stellar experiences with

@Jule Potter from Jule Amps
    @DukeLeJeune from AudioKinesis
    @Mike Arnopol from MAS

Currently along for the ride with @Andras Szalay @Gabor_Gerenyi and have to say I have been pleased with the way they are working. It is only fair to add @lokki to this list, without him we may have missed the boat on the FI

Oh, believe me or not I had a pretty great conversation with Ken Smith. And there goes all my likes. He was super cool to me and a pleasure to speak to.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Spent likes this.
  4. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I'll second Andy and GB. And add Roger & Linda Baer, and Bob Gollihur.

R Baer and Spent like this.
  5. I put in David Konig,head honcho & chief bottle washer @ Retrovibe Guitars here in the UK. Got a couple of his basses when he was moving stock to help fund
    a new line, maybe two conversations and I thought "cool guy ". While later he'd spotted I was looking for a certain bass and he got in touch saying he knew where
    one was, again I'm thinking " cool guy ". If I saw posts regarding his products I'd chip in any info I had and one day a beanie hat bearing his logo arrived so I email
    asking if that's me an endorsee ? He replies " No ! you're bald an it gets cold up in Scotland.":)

Helluva good guy,added a mod to my last bass for free. Gets my vote anyways.

Spent likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021