Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suprise, I got me an alphabass!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Aug 14, 2005.

1. So I walked into L&M the other day, and wasn't expecting to buy anything, until I came across this peavey alphabass for $200 canadian ($150 US).

Wow did I have mixed feelings toward this amp. First an all tube bass amp for $200 nearly threw me to the floor, but then I thought it's a peavey and their tone is bark in mud. I thought I better try this out, I mean it's an all tube after all. So I plugged in a BG5 and the definition was clear and pleasent yet warm and punchy, very much like a 400+. I've never heard a peavey sound so good, so I unplugged it, walked it over to the till and put'r on mu visa (I'll pay for it later :help: )

I figure I'll cancel the used 400+ I have on order, and use this little guy, It'll not be as loud, but It's just as nice in the tone dept. It's all tube afterall.

I think I'll try building it into a combo amp, like an all tube peavey walkabout or something, It's light and would be good to truck around in a combo that way. Put a 12" eminence or something in er and call it good.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    cool deal! I think Peavey did alright with tube stuff!

The combo sounds like a cool idea... plenty of cabinets with rack space on the market.

3. peavey sounding like bark in mud indeed . . . ggrrrrr

but **** me, thats a whorishly nice price for a used all tube head!!

nice score!

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    My thoughts exactly, how come I never come across these "finds" :(.

5. They're out there- I had one. Bought it for $250, got a D-180, sold the A-bass for $299, decided I didn't like the tube tone & sold the D-180. I kinda wish I still had the Alpha, though. I think it would be cool to split the signal & send the highs into a tube head w/ a 2x10 & the lows through a high-power SS head w/a 1x15. Right after I got the peavey, there were 2 or 3 of them on ebay within a week. They seem to come & go; definitely a sleeper, in my book.

6. I get "fairly" good deals, but never anything that good :(

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had one and let it go like a dumbA#@, It's a great little 130 watt tube head.. You'll dig it!! Peavey Tube heads are a wolf in sheeps clothing!

8. Mine said 160 watts on the back panel. Either way, it was quite loud. :bassist:

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Nope you are right I thought it was either 130 or 160! It's been a long time since I even have seen one of those

10. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    But got tired of the weight. Heavy heads for 160W..

11. No way it's light, I'm not sure how light, but it's fairly light. Less than my yba200 which is said to be 44lbs. That's why I'm thinking of the Combo Idea.

Does anybody know who makes a 3 rackspace cab. (Is the alphabass 3 rackspace? It looks like it to me but I haven't measured it yet.) Then I know I can get fairly balanced tone and reliability from a manufacturer, instead of from me with a buzz saw.

12. Dr. Bass(budget)& Lowdown Sound(not too pricey but more *boutique*)both do. I seem to recall the Alpha as being 4 space, but I can't sat for sure.

13. thanks bassteban

Can you run an 8ohm cab on the alphabass?

14. Never mind, of course I can, but it'll probably be an 80W amp then.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    tube output varies very little. it'll be ~160watts at any of the Ohm ratings it's set to handle.

16. yup, you need to choose which ohm tap, if there isnt an 8ohm switch then be careful, because higher impedances are nastier to tube heads

17. yeh probably ~160W because it's loud for 160W, It's tubes is right.

18. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    How much does the AlphaBass weigh?

19. I think they weigh about 40 pounds, perhaps a bit more. My Mesa/Boogie D-180 seemed a little heavier.