1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sure Am Running Flat a Lot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Russell L, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, by golly, it seems like it's becoming addictive. I'm running my Markbass Little Mark III through my Traveler 151P cab as flat as it gets. The LMIII is generally considered to be fairly transparent as far as colorization goes, but there must be some coloring in there, even if it's slight. I'm noticing that running the eq knobs all at noon with both the VLE and VPF filters off is pretty much becoming my favorite tone. I even got to stand out front at the blues jam while someone else played MY bass through MY rig with it set just like this. I swear I couldn't think of anything I could've done to make it sound any better. It had the perfect bass tone, IMO. And it cut through well, too. Heh, heh, it reminds me of Fonzy on Happy Days looking in the mirror to comb his hair, but instead just shrugs because it looks fine already.

It's very interesting, and I am loving my Markbass rig more and more each gig. However, I know this effect applies to all brands. What kind of experience are any of you having with running flat on your rig, whatever it is?

2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I always have my EQ flat on both my amp and bass.

Purely because I have no idea what else to do with it :D

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Yeah, I tried messing with the knobs tonight some, but ended right back flat. If I get any good results from the knobs it's usually to cut some high mids to make up for playing with my fingernails. Sometimes I'll just use the VLE to cut some highs. My tweet doesn't work, so I'm not getting too many highs noticeable in the mix anyway, though.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    One of my favorite live setups is a passive bass into an ART Tube MP into a power amp into 1 or 2 Avatar B212 cabs.

Even when I run my WTDI in place of the Tube MP, it's almost always set flat.

Nice thing about it is you're hearing exactly what you're sending out to the board.

5. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I always set them flat, unless it sounds better not set flat LOL

6. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    my stuff is almost always flat. the eq in my bass gives it all i need before it reaches the amp. if u want to hear it even purer, plug an active bass into the return of the effects loop or the power amp input of the amp. that will let you hear it bypassing the whole preamp and any sonic effects it may add.

7. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    I set the eq to how I like it (flat and neutral with the input clip led just flashing now and then when I dig in) on my old school TE head when I bought it and pretty much the only adjustment I've made since is to the output level. Song type, vocal delivery and guitar tones vary a lot during our setlist - large tonal changes and effects on the bass sound would be overkill for me but each to his own, eh?

8. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    i've tried "flat" here at home (a micro-vr with tone knobs at noon) but i just can't wrap my head around that tone, since my idea of the perfect onstage tone is a hammond b3 player's left hand pumping a leslie 147; huge, low, dark. but i sure do like a great di signal (radial jdi) sent to foh on big gigs. hmm, gotta be the subs...

9. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Flat does not work for my tone (warm). How can you "flat" guys justify spending hundreds (if not more) on a head and bass just to come back to a flat tone? Seems like a waste of money and great electronic engineering but that's just me...

10. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    because they sound good flat :smug:

Eden amps have great EQ but you don't need to use it

11. ...and they aren't 'flat' when set 'flat' anyway. All amps have deliberate bumps and dips in their response curves when set 'flat,' which gives them a certain sound. If you like that sound, and bought the amp because of it, there's little reason to turn the knobs, except to compensate for room acoustics, or for effect.

12. I don't run entirely flat, but I really like my month-old LMIII so far. I usually have the VLE up around 11:00 (or less depending on the song), VPF at about 9:00, and cut the bass to about 10-11:00 just to avoid overloading my 210 cab (more flat when using my 410 on bigger gigs). I really like the MarkBass filters a lot, you can dial in almost any tone just using them without touching the other eq controls.

13. Interesting- I see you play a Jazz Bass. I run the EQ on my GK MB115 flat when I use my P all the time. However, when I use my Squier Standard Precision V (w/ Jazz pickups) I impulsively EQ it. It may just be that the pickups on that bass are really weak; I haven't owned a legitimate Jazz Bass for a couple years.

Maybe it's time I pick one up...

14. Hey Johnny, cool to hear from you! Could you elaborate some more, please?

I play a Spector Euro 5LX into a Peavey Tour 700 and a 4ohm Mesa Powerhouse 412. You're saying that I can instead of plugging into the input of my amp, plug into the effects return, and it'll totally bypass my Tour 700's pre, leaving me only with the tone of my bass?

15. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I run the EQ's all at noon, and just a smidge of VLE or VPF (occasionally), but nothing more.
    Been running it that way for years, and I've always been well pleased.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes, it will bypass the pre. Some active basses might be hot enough to make the poweramp work but maybe not at full output. May need to run it through something like a TubeMP or clean boost pedal, something to boost the signal enough to properly drive the poweramp. Example, a lot of poweramps need 1 - 1-1/2 volts in the input for the output to function right and get full power output. Pickups alone don't put out that strong a signal. Active bass might be strong enough to get some uesable output from the amp, just not as loud as it could be.

17. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I often set my amps for "flat" or something close but man, I never thought of running my P into my tube MP into my SC120 or Mesa 400's power amp. Coool idea!

18. Awesome. My Spector has a very hot output, im gonna give it a try today.

Thanks!

19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I find it fascinating that the clanky tone I get in the living room is the one that sits best in the mix, most times. It has whatever Markbass puts into it when the eq is all at noon, no filters. But, yes, I also still twek some knobs a bit---but only a bit. Although I have used more of the VLE than anything. Rooms are different, though, and sometimes it's best to shape the tone a hair. Basically, though I guess this all means I'm digging my Markbass sounds. Mighty nice, I must say.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Markbass LMII and LMIII actually do have response that translates to a flat line when all knobs are at noon. Not that that's a good or bad thing...that's just how it is. Personally, I've never been afraid to touch a knob when not getting the sound I like, but if that's what you like, that's cool.