Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sure are alot of rich people these days...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Hmmmm lets see here.....

YES I know! What is your biggest obsession??? I bet it's gear from Mesa Boogie.....

where is it you work again?

:p

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How anyone can slam that guy as somehow being evil is beyond me...he has given away almost half of his net worth to charity.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was number 401. I just CAN'T seem to get on that list!

brad cook

5. One of the billionaires on that list lives near me. Been by his house before. Pretty amazing stuff for sure...

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, but how do you know they weren't EVIL charities?!

brad cook

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well they might be....I guess we will find out if he goes outside the US and isn't allowed back in! :D

*obscure Cat Steven's reference*

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Wow, 313 billionaires. As impressive as that is, if you have enough money to eat, pay your bills, own bass gear ;) , you are in teh richest 15% of the earths population. I'll try and find the official numbers, but it is very scary just how many people there are on earth with no material wealth at all. :(

Travis

PS. Here we are, found the site. I know its just a crappy website, and is not totally scientifically accurate. It is a good guage of just how fortune we all are.

www.globalrichlist.com

9. And here he is for those that don't believe me. ;)

Dean White

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I got it even without the hint. ;)

brad cook

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    A reporter asked Frank Sinatra what it was like being rich, and he smiled and said, "I still got the same problems as before, only now they have more 0's after them". :D

12. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I wonder if my friends dad is on that list... He is a co-CEO for Guthy-Renker

13. They may be rich, but are they happy?

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Didn't Randy Newman sing something like "money can't buy love but it can buy a 14 year old hooker and a lot of cocaine and that is all right" :D

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree. it's amazing what he has done - i still half expect to hear someday that he's funding some cutting edge research or space exploration mission.

16. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Or giant killer robots!

17. well, we do live in a culture which values material possession and wealth. and our currency is worth much more than just about every other currency in the world (UK pounds and the euro being the lone exceptions).

US$1M goes pretty far in the US. it goes even farther in canada. take it to holland and it can buy even more. now go to india, pakistan, china, nigeria, egypt. how much more can you buy with US$1M? without adjusting for relative value, even those who struggle to pay the bills in the US are "richer" than most of the morld (provided they have no debt).

robb.

18. And that those robots run on a Mac OS.XXX ;)

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That's because they have YOUR money! :ninja:

20. That should scare everyone who isn't a billionaire. More and more money being owned by .0001% of the population.