sure, there's the mini P bass - where's the mini J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Jul 13, 2020.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i would purely love a mini jazz bass! lighter weight, smaller body, j neck, j pickups. that would be excellent.

did fender ever make one?

yes, i could search on google, but i'd rather hear from my fellow TBers :)
    (besides, i did a search but didn't find any)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. LeFunk Machine

LeFunk Machine Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    D.C.
    According to my knowledge, there has been zero.

sonojono and pcake like this.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    There was one I can think of, off the bat, only thing is it had a PJ configuration rather than two J pickups, everything else was pretty much like a jazz bass but 30" scale. A Fender Modern Player Short Scale Jazz bass.

jazz bass.jpg

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-modern-player-short-scale-jazz-bass

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    nice, but i'm specifically looking for a short scale with 2 jazz pickups. i'd just through 2 jazz pickups in a bronco or even a mikro, but the string spacing near the bridge would be very narrow compared to the bridge pickup spacing, and besides, it wouldn't look as cool :D

ever the eternal optimist (not really), i emailed fender right after i posted to ask about a mini J the size of the new mini P.

ed morgan, JRA and Maxdusty like this.
  5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
  6. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Not sure if these are still in production as there have been some changes with Fender Japan’s lineup and mission in the last few years, but a couple of years ago when I was looking for my first short scale bass, I temporarily became focused on this model, the "Smart Size" Jazz Bass. A guy I knew who worked at a shop was planning to go to Japan, so I asked him to pick one of these up for me, but it turned out that the same shop had a used MIJ Mustang hanging up for sale. I later went back and tried that Mustang, bought it, and the guy never did go to Japan and I mentally moved on, so I never did get one of these Smart Size Jazzes. Oh well, would have been cool though!:
    ABE1D8AB-377C-4756-B82D-E22A8E083518.jpeg

7. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Fender (Japan) produced the "Smart Size" Jazz Bass (JB62SS) for a while, tho it's expensive to procure these days.
    fender jb62ss.jpg

Also, J&D makes a Mini Jazz w/29.5" scale.
    bass princess luna 0.jpg

8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    thanks - just emailed a couple questions to the seller and one to a fellow TBer who owns this bass!

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
  10. darkwasthenight

darkwasthenight

Oct 17, 2010
    J&D Mini Jazzes were all the rage for a bit. Supposedly they're nice instruments after a setup, assuming you like the super shorty scale. Lot of people buying them as travel or fly date basses.

ed morgan and pcake like this.
  11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my shortest scale bass is 24.75" followed by my mikro at 28.6" and my mustang and bronco at 30", so 29.5" is good for me. but i want it to sound like a jazz, which could happen with a pickup replacement - IF it has wide enough string spacing to accommodate fender jazz pickups.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  12. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    there is also a warwick corvette shortscale bass with jazz pickups

https://www.thomann.de/nl/warwick_rb_corvette_b_4_bk_short_scale.htm

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you find one, get it. I deeply regret selling mine. I decided it looked silly with my large frame, and it did, but I should've kept it. It's every bit as great as the full size MIJ jazzes.

14. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    We're always looking for what we don't have.
    I traded one jazz bass off, A MIM jazz, because I had traded into a higher, American Standard one.
    Then traded the new jazz bass for a P bass because I didn't like the new jazz bass.
    A year later I have another jazz bass.
    Wish you success in your search.
    You have short scale jazz gassssssss.....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    TN WOODMAN, sludgetail and pcake like this.
  15. darkwasthenight

darkwasthenight

Oct 17, 2010
    I don't know what size the jazz pickups they come with are, but I doubt they'll have made a special run of smaller sized pickups for them. Looks like standard hardware from the pics.

TN WOODMAN and pcake like this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This one was mine. Just a little fella. Great bass.
    image.jpeg image (1).jpeg image (2).jpeg image (3).jpeg

17. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
  18. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Right here at 25.5" scale
    Glen Burton GBMB-NT Half Scale J-Style 4-String Electric Bass Guitar w/Gig Bag, Strap & Cable | The Gator Tone | Reverb
    zlkt9mn8ajigez5poyot.jpg
    Not a Fender, but you did say 'mini' instead of short scale.

19. izpak

izpak

Feb 17, 2016
    Essex, UK
    I've got a Bacchus mini Jazz bass.
    It's from their Chinese factory and is very cheap. (Sub $250 AFAIK)
    The body and neck are shrunk down but the hardware and pickups are still full sized, making it easier to swap things out to your replacement of choice.

They are actually a decent bass with very good fit and finish. And I don't mean good fit and finish for the price, they are legitimately very well made.
    There are a bunch on reverb if you're interested.

20. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Warmoth does short scale jazz basses if youd be interested in putting one together. I made a SS P with their parts and it came out wonderfully.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021