Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sure this question has been asked like 10 times.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Or 100.

Could I "damage" my bass amp if I played guitar through it? I know the tone would be different than playing through a guitar amp but is there a possibility i could damage it? (its just a tiny practice amp)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Short answer: No. And you might like the tone. The old Fender Bassman 50 is an excellent guitar amp, but as a bass amp, it totally blows.

You're more likely to run into a problem by running a bass through a guitar amp.

3. Yay,thanks Munji. I like a fat toned guitar anyways,so im game for this. *heads off to rondo*

thanks dude.

4. Ok, been wondering this, i am 90% sure it is OK to do, but i want to ask just incase, so please be nice :p

Bass through guitar pre-amp, into power amp, into bass cab?

no problems there, just that there is a nice tube pre going for around $200 (very cheap in Aus!!) and i was thinking of using it.

5. Should be fine, but you will probably feel that the pre lacks hugely in bass friendly freqs - in other words you'll propably find yourself lacking in bass and low mids. The tone basically may not be pleasurable. :)

6. I have an Ibanez Bass EQ, would that help? i think i might just have to bite the bullet and shell out $800 for one of them rackmount sansamps, or buy from the US and buy a voltage converter.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I used to play my guitar through my TNT1115. No problems at all, made for a very cool deathmetal tone with a Boss metal zone pedal in the effects loop.

8. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    the only danger in swapping amps is bass can blow a guitar speaker. anything else, you might get an interesting tone (negatively or positively), but there's no danger, so long as you don't play bass through a guitar cab

9. if you set the EQ on the guitar preamp flat then you should get no change in eq... the spectrum of bass eq should be left well alone from the guitar eq. so yeah your ibanez eq will help... but i'd try it before you buy, it could suck, you won't know until you try!

10. Voltage converters should work pretty well for preamp only, as they don't use lots of power.

If you have power amp for native voltage, no problem I can see using foreign voltage preamp with converter.

Power amp would take too much power, require very big expensive converter. Cheaper to buy gear set up to run in your home country.

Some Eden gear can be switchable to non-US voltages. Flip the fuse block, rotate it, something like that I think.

Randy

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Whenever I've borrowed my friends electric, it was always to play some death metal, lots of muting and crunchy distortion. So I'd throw on his Metal Zone, drop to D and rock out through my bass amp. Sounds wonderful.

I'd like to run a guitar stack with guitar 2x10 and bass 1x15 for a nice balance. But yeah, bass amps, IMO, generally make great guitar amps too.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It'll probably be OK.