Sure, you were inspired to play, but who kept you doing it?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'll be honest -- the reason I picked up my bass was 'cause my brother plays guitar and I looked up to him (I was 12 a the time). I got one for Christmas when I was 13 (grade 7), played it for a week, and it collected dust for two years. I picked it up again in March of grade 9 and barely did anything, and then in the summer, I started downloading some random mp3s and one of the fellas on Bass101 mentioned the name "Victor Wooten", so I downloaded some one night when I was bored, and now he's the reason I'm still playing bass. I moved onto more and more players, but throughout, Victor has always been on my playlist, whether it be easy going stuff from Yin Yang or crazy arse, mind boggling slap like Me and My Bass Guitar.

Any of you guys have an experience similar to this? How about Bruce? I know he had a really long hiatus from playing bass after some bad experience, what made you pick it up again?
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I was originally inspired by Gene Simmons. The player who made me want to practice and continues to inspire me the most is Geddy Lee. However the list of inspiring players grows and includes Jamerson, JPJ, Wooten, and Allen Woody to name a few.

Dan :bassist:
  3. MIchael Manring is one of the big men on bass, who has inspired me the most after 4 years of playing.
  4. Roger Glover (Deep Purple) first got the ball rolling for me, Tim Commerford and Flea keep me practicing as of now, mainly with Tim's heavy riffs (I am trying to make up my own funky riffs like in RATM)
    Flea because I like his slap bass style and his note selection and placement in RHCP songs. I still am looking for more inspiration as of now to really create some really cool basslines. I also just discovered Spyro Gyra, with a guy named scott ambush on the bass, and he is really something. I hope to buy some spyro gyra cds now.
  5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Stuart Zender got the ball rolling (and still does) for me when I first picked up a bass. Matt Garrison and Charles Mingus, however, continually provide a great deal of inspiration.
  6. man, if I tell you who got me started playing bass, it will date me badly, but the cats who continue to inspire me are Steuart Liebig and Greg Campbell. both are mosnters, both are really individual players. they make me aspire to the same thing!

lately, I've hung with Trip Wamsley some, too... holy shlemoly!!

from the reeling low end,

7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wooten is from my neck of the woods.
    Ironically, he was almost the reason I quit playing the bass!

I received my 1st bass on Xmas of '72.
    The Summer of '74 was when I decided to lock myself in my room & practice 8+ hours a day with(mostly) the Led Zeppelin Complete songbook.
    Basically, no one really inspired me but myself...just made up my mind that this was something I wanted to do & trust me, I was no 'natural'.
  8. another inspiration to keep playing and to improve: Mick Karn!

his playing and his tone just get better and better and better and...

from the lower lows,

9. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I originally picked up the bass because of Jeff Ament: the fretless, 8 and 12 strings, the upright... he seemed to push what a bassist's role in a rock band a little further than others at the time. Plus, he had cool hats. :D

Later, Les Claypool made me look at different techniques, even though I didn't particularily like Primus until years later.

Justin Chancellor got me interested in effects and playing more chordal lines. He doesn't do it that often himself, but I play chords quite often, and thats the only place I can trace it to.

As of late, bassists don't inspire me that much to pick up and play. I like noisy textural things, and I tend to listen more to bands as a whole, rather than singling out an individual musician. Kenna makes me pick up my bass. Radiohead. Download. The Mars Volta. Mogwai. Sounds like that.
  10. appler

appler Guest

Freshman year, my orchestra teacher asked me to switch from violin to upright, so that's how I started out on bass. Electric-wise, it's Jaco, for playing electric in a jazz situation so awesome.
  11. Sensory_Rupture

Dec 13, 2003
    I was first inspired to pick up a bass by Eric Wilson of Sublime. I was inspired to become much more serious about the instrument after hearing Sean Malone play. He is my inspiration for spending the majority of my free time practicing, and my inspiration for pursuing music as a career.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tim Commerford kinda got me playing, but Geddy Lee keeps me inspired everyday.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nobody inspired me to start, and nobody keeps me going.

(I'm willing to bet this is a bad thing.)
  14. natethegreatno8

Oct 5, 2003
    I was inspired by listening to Mingus, Jaco, and jamerson....but now i find the most inspiration from John Frusciante and a lot of poetry. this is because john has such a passion for expression that the instrement becomes more of an expression paintbrush than "just a bass".....also ive always loved claypool.:bassist:
  15. Hmmm...

A little voice inside my head. :D

Actually, hearing Spyro Gyra live with Oscar Cartaya, later Scott Ambush, Sade recordings /Paul Denman, and (don't shoot me) .... drumroll........ Kenny G 'Live' album with Vail Johnson. Vail gets down on 'Midnight Motion' ... the kind of bass playing that anyone can appreciate. :cool:
  16. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i was listening to 311 in 7th grade, and i forget what song, but it had some awsome bassline, and that kinda got me hooked.
    Primus kept me going for soooooooooo long. Then it was Victor Wooten, then later Jaco, Tim Commerford, Ryan Martinie, and some others.
  17. I began playing bass when I heard Geezer Butlers playing. And now it is Jaco, Les Claypool and still geezer who keep it going :D
  18. My dad inspired me to play, and I keep my own self doing it.