Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Surf Bassists Unite!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Sound of the Police, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Let's hear it for surf bassists! No, I don't mean bassists who surf (I sure don't), I mean bassplayers who play surf. You know, crashing reverb, guitar instrumentals, tiki idols, and bikini girls. The stuff that was popularized in the late '50's and early '60's. Bands such as The Ventures, Dick Dale, Los Straitjackets, Del Shannon.
    Out of 20371 Talkbass members (and counting) I couldn't be the only one... could I?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Check out The Ghastly Ones. Scary surf music!

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Sublime - Falling Idols (very cool surf song)

4. A lot of stuff by Falling Idols (the band) is really great surf music. The Sublime song is actually a cover of the Falling Idols original. In the Sublime DVD; Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations there is a cool segment where they have Sublime and Falling Idols doing a dueling banjos sort of deal with that tune.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    there is a swedish band called Langhorns that is GREAT! check them out.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, I WISH I was in a Surf Rock band. Do you guys remember The Kids In the Hall, that Canadian Skit Show from Comedy Central? Their catchy theme was done by a cool Canadadian Surf Rock band from the early 90's called Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet. They are some high quality surf-rock revival. If you have a chance to see one of their albums, snatch it up! Or, you can always download their songs, too, I suppose.

7. Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet is some good stuff. The Kids in the Hall was good too. Like SNL, only funny.
    Instead of WISHING you were in a surf rock and roll band, go ahead and start/join one. You'll have the time of your life.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Kids in the Hall was on par with the best years of SNL. Great show!

9. Also Dick Dale Rules

anybody ever see the Alexi Sayles show, been looking for him on Vidio forever?

10. Junior Brown does a great surf medley.

11. I love the tone bassists had in early 60's surf music, very clean and effective.
    Jim

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You have no idea how much joy that would give me. However, everyone I have suggested it to has either outright laughed at me or politely declined. It's not exactly a popular genre. But, with a new semester, a new cover band, and work, I wouldn't have time for one. Maybe this summer... I'll put up fliers. "Calling all Midwest Surf Rockers"... I can see it now...

13. Nobody's said "Man or Astro-man?" yet. Mmmmmm...Uranus! Why do surf and space go together soooo well? ;)

And to totally train-wreck the conversation...
    The Sound... said:
    So who else DOES surf?

G'night.

14. Right here! I surf. This afternoon in fact!
    Jim

15. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    och you australians......

dick dales diary, coolish song, i played it for music

16. quote:
    Christos: "Junior Brown does a great surf medley."

Yeah! Someone from Texas gave that CD to me and I love it. He does great country. I hadn't heard of him before that. And that guitar-whoa! He sure does play it well.

quote:
    surf_slave: "Nobody's said "Man or Astro-man?" yet. Mmmmmm...Uranus! Why do surf and space go together soooo well?"

I'm an big MOAM fan. Their live show is one of the best I've seen. The whole sci-fi thing is just a part of surf. And I love it.

quote:
    surf_slave: And to totally train-wreck the conversation...
    The Sound... said:
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No, I don't mean bassists who surf (I sure don't)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So who else DOES surf?

Y'know, I even live ON the beach right next to a major surf spot. Mavericks, home of the biggest waves in the world, is a five minute walk from my doorstep. And I still don't surf! Let me tell you, that Pacific is mighty cold up here. I take my dog to the beach, though. He catches a wave once in a while.

17. Heh, iunno, i just don't know ;)

I live next to the beach, altho its more than 5 minutes, more like an hour. But I have a bunch of good buds down there, there is a food/bar near Oceanside called "The Spot." Lots of live bands, fun stuff, I always go there, even if its an hour drive. In fact, they always place Surf Music on the stereo over. I haven't seen any live Surf Band there, but I've seen ads of em. I like the music tho, and I'm thinking of having my band play some surfier stuff.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know a lot of "Skate Punk" music can drift towards surf rock, if not flat out surf rock. Check out one of the Skateboarding shows on ESPN or ESPN2, and you'll hear some decent surf rock stuff.

And Kid In the Hall was funny. I think it's consitently funnier than SNL. While SNL has some frikkin classic bits, it has even more really lame ones, making KITH a wee bit cooler...

19. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I saw Dick Dale last year. He still shreds. He played his strat with these 7 gauge strings. Bass player was pure Fender 60s P with custom Fender cabs. It was reverb heaven. Took my 12 year old drummer son and he totally got turned on to surf music, like totally man.

20. I liked kids in the hall. However they just could compete with SNL. That is why thier show was cancled and SNL is still on. I you noticed tho one of the guys from Kids in the Hall is on SNL now and the others are doing other things. Except that one real tall guy with the real blonde hair he hasn't been in anything I don't think sence the show was cancled.