1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Surf Rider by the Lively Ones (AKA Pulp Fiction tune)??

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by tjh, Jan 3, 2012.

1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    anyone have anything on this elusive tune, not much if anything online for it ... better known as the theme from Pulp Fiction ... ?? thanks!!

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I should add, I have the intro, etc ... just cant hear the chords that need to be walked over very well ... if you play this one, just toss me a bone on what you are doing with it to keep it nice and busy ... thanks

3. I usually think of Misirlou as the Pulp Fiction Theme, due to its use in the opening credits.

A quick look at Youtube shows several renditions, including the Lively Ones playing it live. I'd suggest seeing what you can pick up from that.

4. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
  5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    thanks guys ... that surfguitar site helped a bit ... and for some reason I am unable to access Youtube these days, I think I must have a bug in the system somewhere ... I am actually ok with keeping this song busy I think, I just pretty much needed to know what chords I was outlining, because what I was doing wasn't making sense, but on that surf site, they all pretty much agreed that this song doesn't make sense ... thanks!

6. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    A bit?!?!?!? Just a BIT?!?!?!? :eek::eyebrow:

:p

If you need to know anything about surf guitar....that'd be the place to go. Guaranteed.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ok ok ok ... jeesh!! ... so I'll never be Frankie Avalon ... jeesh!! ... when everybody else was swooning over Annette Funicello, I was thinkin Patti Duke was the cats pajamas .. so I am not the beach-bingo-a-go-go-type I guess ... if you can believe it, I am going on 60 years young and just played Pipeline and Wipeout for the first time about 2 weeks ago ... now they are tossing Walk, Dont Run and Surf Rider at me ... thats what I get for answering an ad on Craigslist to fill in for a bunch of old guys ... I think I am gonna need some speedo's here pretty soon ...

OK, so it helped a LOT ... I just spent about an hour with the tune in light of discovering my new fav web site, and I got this one nailed ... couldnt have done it without you guys help ... I owe ya one ... meet me at the malt shoppe in a half ... cats .. I'm out now Daddy-O ... be cool!!

:) :)

8. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Hey....wait.....you're not in my band, are you?!?!?!?!?!?? lol Sounds like my guitar players. There's a thriving (if small) surf scene going on. A lot of the guys currently playing surf are on SG101.....as well as some of the guys from the first wave back in the 60s.

There are two active podcasts right now: the Surfguitar 101 'cast is on iTunes........the other is called A Day At The Beach and is located at A Day At the Beach Surf Music podcasts - Hosted by Rickshaw Records

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Well I managed to find 5 guys from the first wave .. or rather they found me ... and, I think a couple of them actually preceeded the first wave. The only two things I never really cared for, or played much of, is surf music and Beatles tunes ... thats about 70% of their list ... I guess I am having my horizons broadened ... thanks :)