Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Surf/Rockabilly Tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by The Sound of the Police, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Well, I haven't gotten very good responses here when I'm looking for tabs, but I guess I'll try one more time. The stuff I'm looking for usually isn't very "hip", and this time is no exception, so it doesn't surprise me.
    So the band springs a bunch of new covers on me. If anyone can send me these tabs or link me to a site, I would be very appreciative. So here they are:

Surf Rider - The Lively Ones
    Baja - The Astronauts
    Apache - The Ventures
    Pacifica - Los Straitjackets
    Rebel Rouser - Duane Eddy
    Trouble at the Bali Hai - The Amazing Crowns (I don't think they did it originally, but I don't know who did)
    Church Key - The Revels

Thanks,

Kenan

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where have you looked so far? If you don't get an answer, it might be that nobody else knows off the top of their head, they're not prepared to waste time looking if you've already done so, and thus they pass by without saying anything.

Give us a clue on what you've done so far and you might find that someone can help you spot something you missed. :rolleyes:

Wulf

3. I'm not asking anyone to go out of their way or anything--I'm just wondering if they do know off the tops of their heads where to go. It's really not a big deal; I'm just excercising all of my resources here.

I looked through the tabs here, then did a Google search. That's all I know to do.

Thanks for the reply.

Kenan

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You're right about there not seeming to be a huge amount out there - I did a Google search for "Surf Rider" "The Lively Ones" bass tab and it only turned up one vaguely useful link.

You might have to think laterally (use tab you can find to help you understand the songs you can't find tabbed) and remember to contribute any tabs you write back to the online community.

Good luck,

Wulf
    :cool:

5. How would I go about doing this? I figured out one so far. The tab archive here doesn't seem to have a posting feature.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  7. Due to the request, I have submitted "Pacifica" and "Baja". The others should come around soon. Keep an eye out!

"Surf Rider" is killing me, though! You CANNOT hear the bass sufficiently on the recording.
    I guess I'll have to just keep at it.

"Pacifica" has a great bass line. I highly recommend it.

Later,

K

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmnnn... you may be able to hear it more by applying some radical eq (removing distractions) or by doubling the pitch (higher notes tend to be easier to distinguish).

Alternatively, just relax with the fact that if you can't hear the bassline clearly you can just invent something that sounds good to you and nobody else will be any the wiser ;)

Wulf