1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Surface mount pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flameworker, Aug 30, 2014.

1. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    Know of any pickup designs that allow installation without cavity routing?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    There's the Lace USAB. Never heard one or used one, but always been intrigued.

3. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    That is absolutely perfect!!! Thanks guys, I want a pickup I can change positions, I was going to route a huge cavity, if those sound good, problem solved.
    Lace keeps popping up. He is active on another forum I stumbled on, but I don't think I'm learned enough in this tech to engage in the conversation.

4. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    I have always wanted to try pickup winding, and I just happened upon 6 neo magnets,they fell out of the sky. literally they were stuck to my car one day, weird. Stuck to a piece of black plastic, they are labeled "careful around pacemakers" (anyone have an idea what that could have come from?, 2 sets of 3. , but they are the same diameter as the pole pieces in a mm. But only 4mms high. Off to see if I can find 42 wire!!.

5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    You don't want to use standard neo magnets. They are way too strong. By the time you get them close enough to the string to pickup the sound, they are pulling the string toward the magnet, inhibiting its vibration.

6. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    I had a Godin A5 Ultra, which had the Lace surface mounted pickup. It sounded pretty good, in my opinion. I'd be really interested to hear how it would sound mounted to a solidbody.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Mapleglo is right about neo magnets being way to strong if they are being used as the entire pole piece. I found out the hard way, I wound a set of P pickups with 3/8 x 3/4 neo rod magnets and the magnetic pull was strong enough to pull the strings down against the last fret. My second attempt worked much better using magnets exactly like the ones you found. What I did was I used a 3/8 steel bar and made 3/4" slugs out of it. I cut them to length, and chucked them up in my drill press and pressed them down against a piece of emery cloth with the drill spinning to get them perfectly flat, and to achieve the bulls eye look. Wound the coil and glued the thin neo magnets to the bottom of each slug. It worked perfectly.

IMAG0047_zpsdnmpk9al.

IMAG0048_zpsostxf9nl.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Re: "I just happened upon 6 neo magnets,they fell out of the sky. literally they were stuck to my car one day, weird. Stuck to a piece of black plastic, they are labeled "careful around pacemakers" (anyone have an idea what that could have come from?, 2 sets of 3."

I guess you're lucky that the 'tracking device' fell off and left you something you could use-
    what a stroke...
    But I'd be wary of things stuck to my car and whoever may have put them there, and why...

Yeah, neo magnets are REALLY strong and can be used to magnetize the pole-pieces/ slugs.
    There will be a non-standard field around/thru the coil if they are stuck to the bottoms of the poles (could be good, or not???).
    Maybe they could be used in sidewinders?