Surfing Talkbass. How do you do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr M, Aug 5, 2009.

1. I don't know if it was covered before as I usually never check off topic, nor the misc. section of the forum but after searching a little I couldn't find this.
    The question is clear, how do you surf Talkbass forums?

I have at my bookmarks, a directory called "tbass" and in this folder I have bookmarks for "Basses pg.1, Basses pg.2, Basses pg.3..., For sale: Accessories pg.1, For sale: Accessories pg.2... etc."
    I first log in to my TB account, I don't click "new threads" because there are usually billion of new ones and I don't want to check some subforums that I'm not interested at all (such as DB side or Bass Humor etc.)
    I go to the "tbass" folder in my browser (firefox) and choose "open all in tabs".
    The new threads since my last login looks in bold character so it becomes easier to check new subject.
    Problems?
    1. I don't have any clue what is happening at the other subforums.
    2. When I'm checking the new threads which takes a lot of time (since meanwhile I pretend workin at office :bag: :D ) I can't see newly posted threads, when I log out and log in later they are not shown in bold.
    3. And if when I first log in there is a new PM coming, a pop up window informs me about it. But after this all the bookmarks comes to screen as visited (newly posted threads since my last log in are not presented in bold).

Any other structural approach in surfing TB? :D:D:D

2. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I log in and click the most interesting looking newly updated thread in the BG side of the forum, then read that thread, look for more interesting threads in that sub-forum then head to Basses, Amps, and Off Topic/Bass Humor. Then from there, I usually alternate between OT and basses/amps, sometimes wandering into effects and pickups/electronics.

3. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I never log out.

I open Talkbass and select Home, then proceed to review most recent pages.

I also subscribe to several threads that seem interesting and want to follow.

4. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I suscribe to the threads I reply to. So every morning, I may check the updates.
    When I come on the site, as now, I click on "new posts", so that I have the recent activities, for all sub-forums

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My IE favorite for TB is set to Off Topic. This is where I spend my time. I post in Miscellaneous now and then. If I have a few bucks to spend, I go look in the FS: Non bass related forum.

-Mike

6. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

+1 to the above.

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Check the first two pages of new posts. Then effects and Off Topic.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

me too

9. I'm usually signed on...

I go: Basses -> Effects -> Amps -> Bassists/Recordings -> Misc./OT -> F/S

10. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We have a forum on the effects of Off Topic? Cool. Where is it?

-Mike

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I just look at New Posts since last login - if there are too many, then I will look at a search of posts by my own username - that shows me the threads I was getting involved in! :)

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I log into the main bass guitar forum page. Look at recent topics and open new tabs for any that seem interesting. Mainly in the basses, effects, humor, misc, and off topic. Then I work my way down into the classifieds, check out the deals. Read the tabs, repeat.

13. There is a section in your options called Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts". You can pick what forums you want to see when you select New Posts.

14. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I click new post, but I have the forums that I want to search selected in my profile.
    Wihch are basses, misc, GI and that's about it.

I surf the orther forums (for sale, off topic etc...) when I'm bored or have the time.

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    It's in a sticky on top of the Hot Chicks sub forum.

16. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Well good thing your last name isn't THE, or shorter than three letters. You'd be hosed.

:D

-Mike

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I open my MB, type in "tal" into safari browser and then hit enter as the first one that pops up is OT. I then look down through all the bold posts to see if there's anything interesting or look for the black dots.

Exciting eh.

18. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    From my bookmarked TB home page, I click onto New Posts.

Using Firefox with the Auto Pager add on, all the New Posts come up in one long page.

19. Kind of like when I really drunk. I don't know how I got here or where I've been, but I usually wind up naked.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021