Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Surge/Power strip instead of Furman, really?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Jun 29, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Boy, I feel special, my post on cables got alot of responses.....thanks guys, I really don't know what I would do without this forum!

Here's another thought, I understand you don't have to get a Furman power conditioner when a nice quality surge protector power strip will do just fine. Is that true? If so, what kind of strip, I imagine the nice ones like for a computer, right....

Klark Kent

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I have a Furman PL-PLUS in my rack and wouldn't be caught without it.
    If you play at home all the time, you really don't need one. A good quality power strip should do just fine.
    However, if you play in different locations you are not familliar with, you can know how much voltage you are putting to your high $$$ equiptment BEFORE you power them up.
    The lights are a nice feature when playing in dark venues, plus the ease of having only one cord to plug in.
    More Furman info: www.furmansound.com

3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    So you find it's getting under-power, then what?

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There have been a couple threads on this before. The "cheaper" power conditioners like the Furman PL-8, PL-PLUS, and Rackriders are just glorified power strips. They protect against surges and supposedly they filter out some interference, but they don't do anything to regulate voltage.

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Then you know there is probably too much plugged into that circuit. Find another circuit to pleg into.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    The rack Furmans are nice, but all you're paying for is a surge protector in a rack. I rather spend 60 bucks less and get the most high quality surge protector with 8 outlets and RFI and other frequency filters. It's just a waste of money when a lesser expensive surge protector will do just the same.

But if you feel that its not the same because you've already been brainwashed, then go get it for your own sanity. Oh well, to each his own...:rolleyes:

7. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    God, I love this Forum....how aptly named to, when little ole me introduces a thread, Roman Senators begin debating for my benefit...you guys are awesome!!!! Well, so far I'm convinced a kick ass power strip is still cheaper....sway me if you must..

Klark Kent

8. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    Yes, but the lights are pretty.:D

9. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    If you had seen the wiring in most of the venues you can play in, you might want to know how much juice you were pluggin' into! But hey, I WILL KNOW, and my equiptment will be safe.
    BRAINWASHED? I don't think so. Just causious!
    Cheap insurance in my opinion.

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

As Rob B. and Phat Ham have said, what good is it to you to know the voltage if you can't do anything about it other than go to a different circuit in the place? Most of the times, if the voltage is low in one circuit of a club, it will be the same in the other circuits. Maybe 10% of cases will turn out the way you stated. A surge protector does just what the Furman does, at half the price or more. And if you want to know the voltage, go buy a $5 voltage meter from Radio Shack.

Its not worth the extra money, but if you want some lights to impressthe audience and detract the focus from your playing, you go do that.

11. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    It is if you HAVE the extra money!

12. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Not caring about the extra cost and it being *worth* the extra cost, are two different things. I say take the extra $$ and start saving toward a true voltage regulator/line conditioner. Then instead of hoping a different circuit will help, you'll have fixed the problem.

Most don't realize how common it is for dips in power occur. Take a voltage meter and just leave in in a socket for an hour. I've seen *good* circuits all of a sudden drop down voltage anywhere from a split second to several seconds.

13. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I believe I said I thought it WAS worth the extra cost, and you guys say it's not.
    It's all about opinions. I'm not going to change yours, and you're not going to change mine!
    The voltage meter isn't there to warn about voltage drops of a few seconds, it's there to warn of voltage that is too high or too low, CONSTANTLY!

14. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    If switching to another circuit doesn't fix the problem, then the only thing achieved is, knowledge your gear is getting improper voltage. If a true line conditioner is used it will fix problems, even if they only last a few seconds.

(Also, if the test is performed, you'll see there is no constant. Most circuits vary wildly.)

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Last night at our gig, the lights would dim every time the air conditioning switched on. I was thinking "Hmmmm ... now would be a good time to have one o' them fancy voltage regulator type power strips." Fortunately, nothing blew up or went down, but I'm wondering if it might not be a wise expenditure of $500.

16. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Circuits with air conditioners on them are really bad.

Tripp Lite makes a 3 rack space unit that handles 2400w for around $260 I think.

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

This subject has haunted me for years and I was going to spring for the 1215 (15 amp) Furman. After talking with Eden and Furman, I came to the conclusion that this device won't help. The reason being you need the full 15 amps to get the rated watts at 120 volts. So if there is less than 15 amps, you don't getyour 120 volts anyway. The amp's power supply and caps do the best they can with what is available.
    So, I never got the regulator. Just try your best to find a deticated 15 amp circut with 120 vots.
    My drummer (sound guy) will go right to the 220 panel with big alligator cables, then splits it over to 120. This way you get the full monty.
    You can also use a clothes dryer or stove plug and go into those deticated circuts, then to the splitter.

Better bring some serious cords to string to the stage.

DON'T DO THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING....!!!!

18. I don't know much on this top,so help me out please.If the cheaper furman units are just "glorified"power strips,what unit will fully protect your gear?

19. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    My point exactly!
    Without the voltage meter, you wouldn't know there was a problem to begin with! Use the first circuit you plugged into that was under or over powered.
    End result, FRIED EQUIPTMENT!
    Thank You

20. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    You guys are really persistant. If this tim guy doesn' want to realize the truth in our facts, then so be it. He doesn't have to change his ideas, he just has to recognize that they're there, and not be ignorant of them.

Anyways, theres no good in knowing the voltage of a line if you can't do anything to fix it. As previously said, voltage regulators would be recommended over normal power conditioners because at least you're trying to resolve the situation of decreased or increased voltage coming through a circuit. But even then, it's useless if you CAN'T even get the power out because it's simply not there.

Whatever.:rolleyes: