Surgical Spirit?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by APouncer, Nov 29, 2002.

1. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I used to play a lot, and then I didn't. In the last week I've had 2 rehearsals with a band (their bass player broke his arm) and I'm expected to be in the studio with them tomorrow. I'm a little rusty but I can play the stuff, problem is my finger tips on my fretting hand are a little sore, and I have blisters on the end of each one, quite big but flat ones so there is a fairly thick layer of skin over the top. I'm thinking of applying surgical spirit over the next 24hrs to them to toughen them up - has anyone tried this and will it work quickly enough? Any other ideas? I'll play through the pain if necessary, but obviously I'd rather not. Thanks guys, hope you're all well - Aaron
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

When I was on Jazz Summerschool a few years ago, a lot of the bass players were getting sore fingers as they weren't used to playing all day every day.

So when all the bass players got together with the bass tutors it came up as an issue and one of them said that she had had similar problems - like you mention, when doing sessions and lots of gigs. She said she would soak her fingertips in white spirit - like you use for cleaning paintbrushes.

I've never had the problem, as I generally use a light touch and my fingers are pretty tough after 20-odd years of playing bass - but several people said it really worked!!
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Not really GI Material, let's go to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    In my experience, surgical spirit will help toughen the fingers - a year or two after beginning, I went through a phase of applying it on a regular basis.

That's long behind me now, but I've kept my fingers up to scratch by lots of playing.

What I don't know is if surgical spirit will do the job for you overnight. It might be worth seeing how well you can play the songs fretting with something other than the tips of the fingers - that might give you some backup. Also, it might be worth having a go at playing as lightly as possible (before you actually get into the studio) as this might help you stick it out a little longer.