Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Surine 6er on Ebay!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Metroman, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Looks like a protocol, not an affinity. Horn is too long for an affinity.

2. Indeed you are correct, I didn't even notice that he put Affinity in. Protocol's are the only bass offered with a P/J config too, so an obvious mistake.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Now THAT'S a wide body. I remember Brad Johnson's Surine seven-string he had a while back...you could've surfed on it.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Did someone say wide?;)

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I had a Surine 6 for a short time. There was nothing I liked about it. The tone was very bad, the construction was that good and it didn't play very good. I got it in trade for a Zon I was having a hard time selling thinking it might be an easier sell. I figured the Surine might be cool to have as I had never seen one in person and that I might even keep it. It was easier to sell thankfully because I wanted rid of that piece as soon as I got it. I was very disappointed with the construction.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Speak of the devil. You could club a hippo to death with that thing. And what did it cost you; like $26.32? ;)

7. Here's my "thinner" Surine. ;)

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No thank you, Sir. Do not give me any more Surines.

9. Did you have a problem with a Surine?

10. I'm curious....

11. I like the look of the one on eBay, but the other two posted above look a teeny-tiny bit "Wishnevsky-esque", don't they???

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My pleasure:D

Wide and thin.

Rockandroller, I have no idea what you're looking at;)

13. I love it! Nice bass Brad!:cool:

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Check this out...

15. How long have you had the bass (assuming you still own it)? What do you think about it?

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I had the bass for almost a year. As much as I kept trying, I've found I'm more comfortable on a 4,5 or 6. Belongs to a local player now who loves it and uses it as his main bass.

I thought it was an excellent 7, very Smith-like in it's playability (that's a good thing IMO), with the Bartolini package it sounded great, too. You can't tell from the picture but it had 3/4" spacing, which I really dug. Wide, flat neck. Surine's are excellent basses IMO.

I had a Roscoe SKB-3007 recently and came to the same conclusion, great bass... for someone else. A friend bought it.

17. Cool!:cool: Thanks for the review, Brad. I'm seriously considering a Quest Series II with Mahogany wings and an Ebony fingerboard, and Scott may let me "buy" a sample bass to try out, and my money will be refunded when I return it. I can't seem to find any Surine owners locally so I can try one.