1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Surine Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimothythompson, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I just scored a Surine Espirit II for a pretty good price and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. I've played it and loved it but I wanted to know how other people feel about Surine.

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've never heard of them, but I looked on the website. Very classy looking.

3. the bass is light as a feather and apparently very rare. I hear the largest guitar store in the world (some place in Vegas?) has only moved three of these. But I think that's because these are all custom handmade for the customer.

4. nobes

nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    no pics, no bass

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I owned a Regency 4 a couple of years ago (bought through Ed Roman in Vegas). Great basses but since they're so expensive, value is average IMO (similar to many other btq brands). Buying used is a great opportunity-you'll love it.

6. [​IMG]
    It's a little ugly but someone threw some passive pickups on mine that are phenomenal. I have no idea who makes them, but i'm not tempted at all to throw the two Bartolini soapbars back onto it. Except for the hum aspect of the passives. It's maddening!

Regency 4s are beautiful by the way. You're a lucky bass player.

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The few people I've encountered that have owned one swear they are the best bass in the world.

8. i've been playing it nonstop since i got it and i think i might have to agree with those people, although mine is not stock. The bass itself is superb though. Throughbody, three piece neck. I can't figure out what kind of wood it is though. But it makes me feel special to finally own a bass that isn't the fender standard mistake.

9. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    i've played one a few before.... man they sound amazing. really really really growly and burpy :)

10. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Scott is a great guy. I own a Quest 1 5 and have a Quest 5 fretless in the works. Great basses, great weight and I love the tone and playability. The new Quests and a bit thinner across the body, it makes them a bit more comfortable. I've been getting a lot of gigs from Scott latlely from a lot of bands when he's not availible to play. He also has a few new Bolt on Jazz styles in the works, I'll be doing the finish work on those. If you contact Scott on his website I'm pretty sure he could give you the lowdown on your bass.

11. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I bought a used Regency X 6-string last year, it's amazing.
    Very big sound, powerful and clear. And I like the extra-wide body, it sets the bass in a good position when I'm sitting down to play (which is often). Soon it'll get an internal GK pickup installed.
    10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I have long been a fan of Surine basses. I've never had the chance to play one, but my god, they just look incredible! I love the body shapes!

13. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Crazy looking bass. Stupid name, though. Too similar to "urine" to be cool!

14. I'm assuming Scott is the luthier behind Surine basses?

and MAN elros. that is one beautiful bass! I wish mine was as fancy as all that. I love that design, I only wish I had the money to get one. Struggling Musicians UNITE!

15. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    I played a used Regency X6 last year that Dan had at Luthiers Access Group. The craftsmanship seemed a little on the raw side and I can't say I liked the tone but the over all design was nice and the top was a pretty Rosewood. This may have been an earlier example of his work. The last part of the fretboard was removed to access the truss area, that was interesting in and of itself.

16. I think it's supposed to be pronounced more like 'serene' than 'urine' with an S in front of it.

17. monkeybassist

monkeybassist

Oct 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Endorsed by Ampeg, DR strings, strong relationship with Surine basses
    Scott Surine and Scott Lofquist both have a hand in building those Surine basses. Sweet instruments, I've had a few over the years and love my fretless. Scott's local to Denver and the basses come out of the mile high city. It's good to be a local player, he's good about supporting the local guys.

18. 5nofrets

5nofrets

Nov 4, 2015
    Close, Correct pronunciation like sir een. Made in Denver CO, in reference to wood, some of the neck wood is walnut.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021