Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Surine basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Jul 5, 2002.

1. I'm considering a Surine Quest Series II bass. I asked Scott what wood he recommended for body wings that would offer versatility (must have good slap/pop sound even though I don't slap/pop much) and good sound in modern rock/jam-band. He recommended Maple or Mahogany for wings. Of the two I think I'd opt for Mahogany. Another choice would be between a J/J or 2 Soapbar configuration. I'm favoring the Soapbar idea at the moment.

Anyway, I appreciate any suggestions, recommendations fellow TBers can give.:) The choice for body wings is Alder, Swamp Ash, Mahogany, Walnut, and Maple. The basses are neck-through with Maple necks and Rosewood fingerboards (Ebony is optional for more cash). I also currently own a Reverend Rumblefish and Carvin B5.

Also, if anybody here has a review or pic of a Surine bass, please post it! Thanks so much!

:)

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If you go to Scotts sight at surinebasses.com you will find some reviews and artist comments.I personally like Surine basses.they have a very nice bite and importanly for me versatilty,his fretlesses are full of that classic growl with just the right amount on modernism thrown in plus we all know that a lot of the beauty in the sound of his or any luthiers instruments come from what we as players put in them as well.plus Scott made my
    Signature Sub-Contra Bass
    p.s.
    Feel free to visit my site at
    jauqoiii-xreality.com

3. Thanks JAUQO III-X! I've read the reviews on his site already. In fact, I've given his entire website a good viewing.;) Nice stuff. I figured it wouldn't hurt to get a few recommendations (for body wings) and/or reviews. It will be a little while before I can give him the initial deposit.

By the way, I noticed you're the one holding the Homage on his website. Very cool.:cool:

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    thank you.well the Homage model is my concept and desighn that Scott was kool and open minded enough to do,my Sub-Contra is from the Homage series.

5. Wow!:eek: I think the Homage style is top notch, but the higher prices are a deterrent for me at this point. Perhaps one of these days I'll get one of those also!

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had a Protocol 7, Mahogany body, Maple top, Bart soaps and electronics. Ebony board. Very nice for slapping and fingerstyle.

[​IMG]

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    bassplayer7770 other than the Homage Series are you still considering a Surine?

8. Brad, thanks for the info.

JAUQO, I am still considering a Surine, but I would likely be paying small payments for it. I really don't have any money saved up at the moment, but $200 will secure my order. I'm actually considering the Quest Series II. The Homage may come later.:)

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    You have to start somewhere.

10. I'm just worried I'll have to "start" with something more affordable (like a DP Custom).:(

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thats kool,don't sweat it,it all comes down to what works best for you.