Surprise Benavente WhooHoo!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeLorean, Apr 27, 2004.

1. I had just placed an order for a Lakland US hollowbody when a friend surprised me by offering me this Benavente single cut 5 he picked up a few months ago. I didn't expect him to let it go, in spite of some rough treatment before he got it it is a great bass. He offered me a deal I couldn't pass up, so I now have this beauty in my family.

It turns out to be one of the very early ones. Brian Barrett kindly filled in the early history for me (and is very nicely helping with a new case and truss rod cover now). Plays and sounds like a dream. This is a great year for me so far. :D
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Congrats! I dig the "A" style single cuts... That one looks to be slightly different then the current "A", but I really dig the look of that wood.

Very Sharp!!!
  5. It is a little different than the current "A"s, but they were onto something great already. :D This was the first time I'd seen both quilt and spalt in the same piece of wood (though I've seen some other odd combos since). I put a set of Vinci Bullfrogs (.045-130) on it, and they have been a good choice. Strangely, Vinci doesn't mention them on their site (but all the US Music subsidiaries sites (well, at least Eden and Vinci) are seemingly in limbo, no updates in a long time...).

It is hard to believe that someone had abused this bass. Even taking the "instruments are just tools" mindset, taking proper care of one's tools is important. Thankfully, everything is either fixed or can be (the only thing left is some LEDs that are dim or out). I've had it a week now and am still amazed this practically fell into my lap. :D
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Welcome to the "family!"
    Bennies are addicting!!! :ninja:
  7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder

Hey man, glad the bass is working out and your finding a good friend/tool in the instrument.

Enjoy and of course if there is anything I can help with at any time feel free to ask.

8. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new bass. Great top on that sucker, too! :D
  9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    how about some sound clips :D