Surprise! (Long) - New Fender MIM Deluxe J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzBassvb, Jun 14, 2005.

1. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    This is one of the coolest things my wife has done for me!

Last Wednesday, I originally went in to check out standard Vs and see if that's what I wanted. I played a midnight wine colored one and it played very well. I didn't notice any noise at all and it felt very nice. I love the color.

Then, the sales guy (same guy who gave me a great deal on my Boss looping station), tells me about a 2001 new MIM deluxe 5 they've had for a long time and are trying to move it out (taking a bit of a loss as it was about $20 below their cost.). It's candy-apple red with tort pickguard. I played it and it also felt great and sounded awesome! At first I didn't like the color, but after thinking about it more, it grew on me and my wife even liked it (showed her pictures from the net)

Considering what it was and what a nice deal it was, I told my wife about it and I told her, "if you don't want me to have buyer's remorse, you can surprise me with it." I then proceded to try and get it out of my mind so I wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't get it.

Friday comes and she and her friend (married to my best friend) go out for lunch and shopping and when they came home, my wife was carrying the hardshell case with the bass in it and our friend had a new guitar stand.

I had just got up from a nap and I just could not believe it. I really didn't know how to react. I just sat there with it in my lap and took the occasional slap at it. It was just too cool. I feel like a dork now as I could have said thank you and gave her a hug at the time, but I made up for it when we had dinner that night as I kept saying it and hugging her.

In Edit:
    I forgot to add: I asked her if I could consider this her anniversary present to me. She said I could and it's cool, because the last few years, we have only been able to do the card swap and dinner thing. I got her a new ring and I'll give it to her in the next month or so and she got me a bass. I can live without getting anything else for a good while.

The girls said they just loved it when they first saw it. They looked at the Standard V in midnight wine and they just shook their heads and thought the deluxe was better. The guy took care of my wife and gave her a discount on the case and stand.

Here's what it looks like

It doesn't have the noiseless pickups (at least that I know of), but it has the 3 band eq and plays great! The color has grown on me very much and I love it. It just feels so much more solid than my Ibanez Ex. When I slap on it, it just begs to be hit again. It's great! The action is set very nice for me and the pickups are very quiet and responsive.

I'm considering putting a J pickup cover from a MM 5 on it just to look different. What can I say, I like them. :) I haven't decided yet, but just going back and forth about it.

My Ibanez will become a tenor bass. With the EMGs and the tighter spacing, I think it'll be nice to play higher chords and sound distinct. It'll be cool.

Just wanted to share my joy! I have an awesome wife who appreciates what I like to do! We first met while in high school (different schools) and one of the first things we did was she, her dad, and brother came to the first school jazz concert we had that year. She loved the fact that I play music and she says she loves listening to me around the house. I even played a solo bass tune I wrote for her at our wedding.

Yeah, she likes what I do and appreciates me. That's a great feeling.

Believe it or not, I do have a few questions.

What do you folks like in terms of settings on the eq and balance for different sounds? I got some great recommendations for old school and was just wondering if there are anymore folks like.

Also, with the Pau Ferro fretboard; is it the same type of care for a rosewood fretboard?

This is my first bass with a pickguard, any recommendations on keeping it shiny and clean?

Any other FYIs about this bass I should keep in mind to help me enjoy it for years to come?

2. Very Very awesome- your wife sounds like a great woman- and you sound like a very lucky guy for having her support you in your interests; lets not forget buying you a beautiful bass.

Welcome to the Jazz Bass furturnity... :hyper:

I can help with a few questions- the pickgaurd, may have a plastic coating over it, like a clear coating/contact- Mine did but I didn't notice it till after a month of my thumb digging into it just above the pickup, and kind of peeled it. Take that off. Just wipe the pickgaurd occasionally, they are pretty tough and dont really need much care.

Tone wise: I cant really help, as I own an American Jazz, the pickup controls are abit different. I generally roll the tone off on the bridge pickup, and onn over the neck pickup- this produces more vintage thump... Simularly doing th oppersite I have found tends to create a more sensitive feel, great for working the highend melodic type stuff (chords, etc..)...

I hope that helps some; again you sound like a very lucky guy. And believe me I know how you feel. Although my girlfriend... one day to be my wife, cant afford to buy me a bass right now (She's a student)- she's always been supportive of my interests- whether it be making me a Banana Sandwich at 2am at some 24hr Mountainbike race or Listening to me play she's always got a smaile on :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  3. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003

Thanks very much for the welcome!

I thought I saw some of the pickguard film peeling around the screw holes, so I'll have to take a look at that.

Nice description on the tone. I'll keep that in mind.

Sounds like your gal is a keeper too. That's awesome to hear! I've had my Ibanez for about 10 years now and I really wasn't expecting to get another bass. It was more of wanting a high c and looking for a more old school tone. I would have been happy with the Ibanez by itself and have been for 10 years, but it's always nice when circumstances permit getting something new. :)

Thanks for the post and the time! I appreciate it.
  4. Thats an amazing bass. You and your wife have good choice. I'm sure you'll have a good time with it

And I just want to add that I am in awe of your ability to keep just one bass for 10 years. I've been playing for less than 2 years, and I already have 3 basses (5 really. One was given to me, another was my first $100 bass that I either threw out or its in my attic)

the point here is, you seem to know when to say 'no'. I dont. I salute you though
  5. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Thank you!

Well, when you don't have much money, it's pretty easy to say no. :)

Not that I have not been tempted. I have, but getting used to a bass over time and not to mention, doing some mods to it helps as well.

Thanks for the compliments. Put a smile on my face.

Take care,
  6. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Great story. The Deluxe Jazz is a great bass, IMHO. The couple of times I have played one they seemed to have tones a plenty. Have fun getting to know the new bass!
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Congrats for landing a great woman and a great bass!
  8. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    WoodyG3 and syciprider,

Thanks very much for the kind words.

Just to mention, I took it to my first jam session with my drummer friend two weeks ago and it played awesome! I think the whole evening I slapped on it and it sounded great! I just couldn't stop, this bass just has THAT feel, you know?

I've always wanted to expand my slapping a bit, this will be a great bass to do it.

9. Man, that's awesome. It's great when relationships are pure. I can tell she loves you very much, and never wants to let go of you.
    and congrats on the new bass.
  10. beibea

Jun 27, 2005
    Dawson Springs, KY
    Man, that's awesome. :) Congrats!
  11. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    B8ssMan89 and beibea,

Thanks very much! I count my blessings everyday. Though she may not understand everything I like (computers, soldering and other misc stuff), she still supports it and offers encouragement.

It's very cool. I can't imagine being with anyone else. It's awesome!